Deep Bore Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Bore Help

I currently have a weldement in house, one of the critical features is the concentricy of these two bores 3.997 Dia. I need some guidance as to how to check this...not that it is difficult, but I dont know what to order to get in there..(15.500 in). The machine has the envelope to check it...I understand that this might get expensive. We have both a tp20, and sp600..with a PH10MQ head.

Tim
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    "You cant vote 'present' as the President of the United States"

You are going to have to cover most of that depth with extensions that fit between the PH10M head and the tp20 or sp600 head. I don't have any experience with a sp600. You can get the extensions in either carbon fiber or aluminum from Renishaw. Be very careful, especially if you try to index with the extension on there, give it lots and lots of room. HTH
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Get a long probe extension that works with the Autojoint, then use the "mushroom" shaped stylus that is a little larger than the tp20.

Careful with concentricity checks like this if the bores are far apart, your results may not be satisfactory.
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I was kinda thinking about the auto joint extensions, but wasnt sure.

Tim
        sigpic

Comment

Without a drawing or sketch it is hard to be specific.

Comment

Can you probe it from either side? Like a 90/90 then a 90/-90?
            sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if even an extended force TP20 can hold that kind of length. I would us the SP600 with a carbon fiber tip. Don't you have a renishaw catalog?
              I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
              PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

New Purchase

Well, I talked to Renishaw about this one...seemingly very helpful...We now have a 8mmx450mm Carbon Fiber extension and a 30mm start probe on order.

If anyone is looking to outsource deep bore inspection, let me know...

Tim
                sigpic

Comment

I would be reluctant to use a star probe... despite what Renishas told you.

Look at this link:
                  http://www.renishaw.com/resources/co.../5000-7814.jpg
                  Hemispherical

Comment

Hemi

We talked about the hemi..that is what i thought to use, what I didnt know is that it weighs 18grams..you would also need a m3-m2 adapter, even with an extended force module you would be fighting false triggers, bad measurements.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah maybe... even on that short of a stylus?? I would be worried about the accuracy of the star probe enough that I would use an extended force module with the hemi before I used the star... The star is cheap enough to try it so let us know how it goes...

Comment

Hard to fathom that a hemi is heavier than a star. They are hollow ceramic balls. I haven't used one in a while but are they really heavier than a star?? Never would have guessed that.
                        Bill Jarrells
                        A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Weights

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                          Hard to fathom that a hemi is heavier than a star. They are hollow ceramic balls. I haven't used one in a while but are they really heavier than a star?? Never would have guessed that.
                          2mm - 30mm star probe weighs 1.8 grams

m3 - 30mm hemi - 18grams

.......From Renishaw catalog
                          sigpic

Comment

WOW!! I just weighed my 2x30 star probe. 1.6 grams on our scale. Then I looked up the Ceramic Styli that I am thinking of A-5000-3614 (18mm Diameter and it fits M2 thread). Renishaw lists the weight as 3.3 grams. Still more than the star (surprised me) but not 18 grams. Of course, it isn't 30mm but 18 will get you around the extension and the TP20 as they run about 13mm and that is the size I was thinking of.
                            Regards,
                            Bill
                            Bill Jarrells
                            A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment