Not picking up a CAD surface (v4.2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not picking up a CAD surface (v4.2)

Im trying to setup a scan or create a regular old vector point on a surface and when I click on the CAD surface nothing happens. Other surfaces seem to work on the model. I have no idea what Im doing wrong here?

I need the surface data to get my alignment to work out.

Surface mode is selected.

The model was imported from IGES.
    Mr. Comment
    SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
    B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
    PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
    sigpic

Mr. Comment,

You may not be doing anything wrong. I have had cad data in the past (both iges and step format), where not all the surfaces were there to be able to select.

I know that this may not help you, just wanted to point out the fact that you may be doing things correctly.

Best Regards,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

Hold down the control key.

G
      sigpic

Comment

Had the same today: some surfaces were good to create UV, some not on the same model(stp).
        My case is mirrored model. Original works fine, copy wouldn't create path even surface turned black( no U,V pointers).
        Turning Surface Mode on/off didn't help.
        Recreating Mirrored Copy did the job, now it seems to be OK.
        Try reloading model.

Comment

Not sure if this will help, but did you toggle between surface & wireframe
          sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by Cumofo View Post
            Hold down the control key.

G
            Tried that, surface flashed black when I click but the "probe" never picks up the surface.

Guess I'll have to try reloading the CAD to see if that helps.
            Mr. Comment
            SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
              Not sure if this will help, but did you toggle between surface & wireframe
              I dont have any wire frame data to toogle to. The option is greyed out.
              Mr. Comment
              SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
              sigpic

Comment

Maybe create a layer, and hide everything BUT that layer. then you can select it. Works for me when I have that prob...
                Kev
                RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
                sigpic

Comment

I have seen this in many versions. Usually I can get a hit if I rotate the CAd such that it is almost perpendicular to the viewer and then try to click near where you want. Doesn't always work and sometime not pretty but it gets you through the scan/point for alignment.

Or, if you have the native file output it as IGES alternative or Step?
                  sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

When that happens I usually find that the vector direction of the surface is swapped and and you'll actually pick through the surface you want to the next one below it. I don't know 4.2, but if you set that surface as a priority surface you SHOULD be able to pick it and then SWAP vectors on it and use what you have loaded.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill McCafferty View Post
                      When that happens I usually find that the vector direction of the surface is swapped and and you'll actually pick through the surface you want to the next one below it. I don't know 4.2, but if you set that surface as a priority surface you SHOULD be able to pick it and then SWAP vectors on it and use what you have loaded.

Bill
                      Bill Thanks for reminding me.

There is also a "fix cad vectors" option in 4.2. Go to I think "operations and there is a "fix cad vectors option" open that, and box select the cad model, click on fix vectors and then ok. It may not be the answer in this case but try it.
                      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by MrComment View Post
                        Tried that, surface flashed black when I click but the "probe" never picks up the surface.

Guess I'll have to try reloading the CAD to see if that helps.
                        Try picking a point right in a corner of the surface you want, sometimes this works and you can then pick where you want your point to be
                        If I have offended anyone with this post, I'd like to take this opportunity to say BOLLOCKS
                        Dry your eyes Princess and man up.

Comment

I had this problem when I went to V4.1 from V3.73. We used STEP and had to switch to IGES. I make my own models to import from ProE and always pick to export surfaces and curves so I have both. Ask the engineer to recreate it a different way until you get it to work. What modeling software was used to create the model?
                          sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment