Mechanical Offsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Offsets

What is the correct procedure for establishing mechanical offets? I have talked to 3 different tech support reps and got three different procedures and none of them work. All I want to do ise set the location of the Calibration Sphere. MEA Position is close but not correct. I want to set it correct. Is that possible?
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Has your tool been defined in the probe calibration window?
    ["Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson ][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
      What is the correct procedure for establishing mechanical offsets? I have talked to 3 different tech support reps and got three different procedures and none of them work. All I want to do ise set the location of the Calibration Sphere. MEA Position is close but not correct. I want to set it correct. Is that possible?
      Can you give us a rundown of what you are trying to do? The reason I say this is I don't know what you mean by "establishing mechanical offsets". I have never done this with PC-DMIS, maybe there is another term for it? Also, what is MEA position? Again maybe another name is used by PC-DMIS software?
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

It's a sheffield interface specific function James.

Wingman,

Put the SMI supplied MEA sphere in the correct hole on your machine. Build a brand new probe file (or reset a componant of a current one to clear the .prb file out) and then run the calibration routine using the MEA_MECHANICAL_OFFSET_SPHERE in the tool selection combo box (you also need to say YES to the sphere moved question if you want to update the offsets). If you dont have this sphere defined you can build it, but its important the name be correct (PC-DMIS should define this for you on install if your porlock is set up right)

When the calibration is finished you will get a message box letting you know what the calculated mech offsets are click ok and it saves them to the controller.

If you are tossed an exceed tolerance error, it's most likly a probe file built incorrectly and you now have bad offsets. Make sure you dont save bad offsets to your controller.

I realize you did this, but Tech Support is the way to go here. They have a nice document that goes through procedures for setting the offset, calibrating at the MEA, and also calibrating at non-MEA. It's worth having.
        Last edited by mkopesky; 06-04-2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkopesky View Post
          It's a sheffield interface specific function James.

Wingman,

Put the SMI supplied MEA sphere in the correct hole on your machine. Build a brand new probe file (or reset a componant of a current one to clear the .prb file out) and then run the calibration routine using the MEA_MECHANICAL_OFFSET_SPHERE in the tool selection combo box (you also need to say YES to the sphere moved question if you want to update the offsets). If you dont have this sphere defined you can build it, but its important the name be correct (PC-DMIS should define this for you on install if your porlock is set up right)

When the calibration is finished you will get a message box letting you know what the calculated mech offsets are click ok and it saves them to the controller.

If you are tossed an exceed tolerance error, it's most likly a probe file built incorrectly and you now have bad offsets. Make sure you dont save bad offsets to your controller.

I realize you did this, but Tech Support is the way to go here. They have a nice document that goes through procedures for setting the offset, calibrating at the MEA, and also calibrating at non-MEA. It's worth having.
          The document is missing a step though - you have to go into the user interface and clear the old mechanical offsets - just replace them with zeros. I'll see if I can attach the document that was given to me from tech support at Sheffield.
          sigpic

Comment

I would be very interested in the document WITH the missing step. Thanks VERY much for the help here. This is driving me mad!! LOL
            Bill Jarrells
            A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

I have a document that appears to be missing this step. Are you saying that I should go into PC DMIS Settings Editor and change the Tool MEA X Y and Z positions to Zero and then run the Mechanical Offset?
              Bill Jarrells

Comment

Well, I created a sphere call MEA_MECHANICAL_OFFSET_SPHERE and calibrated with 'change' location. MEA Sphere is still off 4mm in X, 3mm in Y, and 1.5mm in Z so the issue I wanted to correct was not corrected. Every tip calibrated still thinks the sphere is located 'close' but not 'exactly where' it is. They offset OK and all. I just want to be able to add angles without crashing into the ball. Hmm.
                Bill Jarrells

Comment

I just blew away all the Calibration Spheres. Started from scratch and named one MEA_MECHANICAL_OFFSETS_SPHERE and named one MEA_CALIBRATION_SPHERE. I changed location for both of them and now they are defined where they are supposed to be. Program seems to be doing what I want. I will have to wait until 4x50 is completely calibrated and I will check the settings editor to see if the correct values are there for keeps.
                  Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                    I have a document that appears to be missing this step. Are you saying that I should go into PC DMIS Settings Editor and change the Tool MEA X Y and Z positions to Zero and then run the Mechanical Offset?
                    Sorry I got back so late - Yes, that is what I meant for the missing step. And you are right, it has to be done before you re-create the Mechanical Offset Sphere Tool.
                    sigpic

Comment