shank(cylinder) probe calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shank(cylinder) probe calibration

help !!! how do i calibrate a cylinderical probe? i have searched through the previous post but couldn't find any info......thanks G. ROD

If it has a radiused tip then cal it like a regular tip.
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

If you open the probe calibration window in pc-dmis and then press F1 it will pull up that section of the help files. It briefly covers shank probes. I have not tried to use them in pc-dmis myself, but it looks like as long as you have the tip defined properly it should calibrate like any other probe. HTH
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by g rod View Post
        help !!! how do i calibrate a cylinderical probe? i have searched through the previous post but couldn't find any info......thanks G. ROD
        Same as spheres, except for the activation of SHANK QUAL.
        I use 4 shank hits, and the offset value is whatever thickness I'm programming.
        sigpicIt's corona time!
        737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

Wow! I'm really suprised no one lambasted him for even suggesting he is going to use a shank probe.

Usually we jump all over anyone who wants to use one. Maybe they went easy because you are new. Welcome. Do you like Beer?

Back to the shank probe. There are issues with using a shank probe. They can be good for measuring some things (like sharp edges), not so good for measuring other things.

You can use a shank probe but be aware that it can give erroneous results if your part is not square to the probe.

If you would like further explanation, please let us know what you would like to measure with the shank probe and maybe we can warn you about things to watch out for or possible other solutions.

Comment

Cylinder Probe Buildup

I searched the forum and this is the best answer I got.
            I have a cylinder probe I would like to build up and test a few of my theories. I have some parts that come to a sharp edge and would like to use this to do some measuring of the profile. I have tolerances of +/-.030". I can not find the size in the drop down window while building the probe file.
            I am using a Renishaw probe. Here is what I know, I got this straight from their web site-

Part number M-5000-4153
            Class name Cylindrical styli
            Thread mount (A) M2
            Overall length (B) 12.75 mm
            E.W.L (C) 3.80 mm
            Cylinder dia (F) 3.00 mm
            Stem material Silver steel
            Mass 0.60 g

Does anyone have a buildup or could walk me throgh it step by step. I would appreciate it.

Thank you

3.5MR2
            B. Jacobs
            B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

If its not in your list you will have to add it to the probe.dat file.

Comment

Originally posted by spazus_maximus View Post
                hehehe... I think that is the help he is asking for....
                I thought there was a paper floating around here somewhere describing the syntax in the file.
                Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Here is a file to get you going!

Im outta here!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I did fine a 3mmX22.5mm shank in the probe.dat file. I could put a 10mm ext on the tip and use it that way.

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                    hehehe... I think that is the help he is asking for....
                    I thought there was a paper floating around here somewhere describing the syntax in the file.

That what I was asking for. I was hoping it would be something simple.
                    B. Jacobs
                    B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Here is a file to get you going!

Im outta here!
                      Thanks spazus. I will look at this in the morning and see if I can make since of it.
                      B. Jacobs
                      B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment