First Time CAD alignment issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time CAD alignment issue

https://www.pcdmisforum.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==​OK Gurus of all things DMIS... First time writing my own program in CAD. I took the level 2 training two years ago, but have not had a chance to use it since. We are trying to employ it here and maybe make some programming better due to having correct part geometry (Engineering is LAZY and does not want to create proper measurement prints... and they run the show here). So, uploading a CAD model is the only way I could think of to get correct part geometry. So, Here goes...

The model was a little off, and I had to translate the Trihedron to the correct direction.no problem, got that done. I took all the hits in program mode, as though I were writing a program. Got all the hits taken on the top side, and went to run through the program to verify that is was correct, and boom... I did the manual alignment. it switched to DCC, turned the probe and immediately said it was out of travel limits. Theoreticals were all correct to the new alignment position, but the actuals were WAY off base. Did I forget a step in the process, or something? It has been two years since I went through the class, and I've had a major concussion since then, so I acknowledge that it is possible. If you guys wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Ill attach a snip of the code to show you what Im referring to.

Thanks for the help guys...
    cad alignment actuals.JPG
    Attached Files

Will probably need to see more code.

I've done a video for Program Mode here, it might help you understand how it works.

https://www.automettech.com/program-mode
    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Scott D. Haselden commented
      Editing a comment
      Very informative video. I really appreciate it.

Just another thing Scott D. Haselden When you bring in a CAD model. Look at the background, It's in the middle of space, a blue background if you will. Just because you see it on your screen. Your CMM sees nothing. Your machines 0,0,0 XYZ is in the top front left hand corner, so If you don't properly identify them in X,Y,Z on your parts then you could be in trouble, that's why manual alignment is so important, helping your machine locate the part on the table. 0 in Z is in the top left hand corner. until you "beep" it differently. and tell it. Level these "BEEPS" and Origin these "BEEPS" When I do an alignment I do one after each feature, good practice and keeps me from missing anything because, I have before. and I repeat what I did in the prior alignment, It's overkill but, I use this when I teach others. So if I short cut it myself, That only brings up questions from the ones learning. To be honest, I only use auto features only, They are just easier to edit if needed. Here's an example of a standard OFFLINE alignment and Results. You notice the numbers in purple 0, but when I actually beep it on the machine. It's actually -19.9247 in Z from the machines 0. Then I align it so the machine knows where the new 0 is.

C1 =COMMENT/YESNO,NO,FULL SCREEN=NO,AUTO-CONTINUE=NO,
    Skip Alignment?
    IF/C1.INPUT=="NO"
    PLN1 =FEAT/CONTACT/PLANE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,OUTLINE,LEAST_SQR
    THEO/<1.9504,2.1287,0>,<0,0,1>
    ACTL/<11.8682,14.7085,-19.9247>,<0.0003951,-0.0005058,0.9999998>
    TARG/<1.9504,2.1287,0>,<0,0,1>
    ANGLE VEC=<1,0,0>,SQUARE
    SHOW FEATURE PARAMETERS=NO
    SHOW CONTACT PARAMETERS=NO
    A1 =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:STARTUP,LIST=YES
    ALIGNMENT/LEVEL,ZPLUS,PLN1
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,PLN1
    ALIGNMENT/END

LIN1 =FEAT/CONTACT/LINE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,UNBOUNDED
    THEO/<0,0.2054,-0.1>,<0,1,0>,<-1,0,0>,<0,0,1>,6.6939
    ACTL/<8.9396,12.0752,-0.1>,<0.0006952,0.9999998,0>,<-0.9999998,0.0006952,0>,<0,0,1>,5.608
    TARG/<0,0.2054,-0.1>,<0,1,0>,<-1,0,0>,<0,0,1>
    A2 =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:A1,LIST=YES
    ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,YPLUS,TO,LIN1,ABOUT,ZPLUS
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,LIN1
    ALIGNMENT/END

PNT1 =FEAT/CONTACT/VECTOR POINT/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN
    THEO/<0.3843,0,-0.0911>,<0,-1,0>
    ACTL/<0.1927,11.4986,-0.2459>,<0,-1,0>
    TARG/<0.3843,0,-0.0911>,<0,-1,0>
    SNAP=NO
    END_IF/
    A3 =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:A2,LIST=YES
    ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,YPLUS,TO,LIN1,ABOUT,ZPLUS
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,LIN1
    ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,PNT1
    ALIGNMENT/END

MODE/DCC
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 04-22-2021, 11:13 AM.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Scott D. Haselden commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it. I got this to work, using this method. Thanks for the code! One other thing I did to get a different part to work was to manually take the hits on the aligning features, and then translate the features to the manual hits.

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      Think of your program as a book, The manual alignment is the introduction, If you place the next 100 parts in the same location, there is no need to read the introduction , because whether you close the program (introduction to the book) never changes, It will always remember the same thing, until you go in there and change the intro, meaning. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.