Setup initial read point wrong, how to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup initial read point wrong, how to fix?

Hello Yall,

So I made a fairly large program and we do our initial alignments by positioning the probe in a certain location relative to the part then use DCC to do the alignments. Unfortunately when i created my initial read point I created it farther out form the part than I meant to and now every time that I try to start my program it runs into the first feature. Last time I fixed this by translating the model, then going through every operation and updating the nominals. Is there a better way to do this?

Change the theoreticals of the readpoint to the correct values, then run the program.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomJerk View Post
      Change the theoreticals of the readpoint to the correct values, then run the program.
      Thanks RandomJerk (awesome name)

we usually set our theoreticals to 0,0,0 for that initial readpoint. I tried setting the theoreticals to something I expected and I was asked if i wanted to update the dependent commands of the alignment. One time I hit no and it didn't seem to change anything, I quit and hit yes next time i loaded the program and it seemed to fix the issue for the first feature but then it hit the part when going to the second feature. If I change the theoreticals of the read point, then translate everything to that point for the alignment does it set the alignment to the 0,0,0 point relative to that read point or does it set the alignment to the read point regardless of the theoreticals?

Not sure if that made sense, let me know if not.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAgileTortoise View Post

Thanks RandomJerk (awesome name)

we usually set our theoreticals to 0,0,0 for that initial readpoint. I tried setting the theoreticals to something I expected and I was asked if i wanted to update the dependent commands of the alignment. One time I hit no and it didn't seem to change anything, I quit and hit yes next time i loaded the program and it seemed to fix the issue for the first feature but then it hit the part when going to the second feature. If I change the theoreticals of the read point, then translate everything to that point for the alignment does it set the alignment to the 0,0,0 point relative to that read point or does it set the alignment to the read point regardless of the theoreticals?

Not sure if that made sense, let me know if not.
        I do readpoints all the time and occasionally decide later to change their location. Mine are rarely at 0,0,0 so I initially set them where I want then create an alignment so the trihedron location doesn't change. When I move the readpoint location I first update the theoretical and actual locations (type in new theos then select "YES" to update actuals) then when it asks you if you want to update dependent feature nominals, select "NO". At this point all your features will have shifted and that's ok for now. Next you need to go into your alignment and make the offsets opposite of what the readpoint nominals are (simple example: you move your readpoint location from 0,0,0 to 1,1,1, the alignment offsets should be -1,-1,-1). When you go to close out of your alignment dialogue window and it asks you if you want to update feature nominals, you want to select "NO" again.

Important thing to remember if your readpoint is not at 0,0,0 is that your alignment offsets have to be opposite of the readpoint theoreticals.

Another tip to help with viewing it on the graphics display window is to zero out your program (set all features back to nominal). I do this by opening the program offline then executing it. I don't use the "reset all features to nominal" option because it seems to not reset constructed features but executing it offline will reset everything to zero. The other thing to note with this technique is that it will change the actuals of the readpoint but that is easy to fix. Just add a "0" to the end of any of the xyz theos ,select "YES" when it asks if you want to update the actuals, then select "NO" when it asks if you want to update nominals of dependent features because the alignment has changed and all your features will go back right where they should on the CAD. It is telling you the alignment has changed because the actuals have changed but in reality the alignment has not changed, the readpoint nominals match the offsets in the alignment. To try it out, make a simple program (readpoint, readpoint alignment and a few points on it after the alignment) offline using CAD from a 1x2x3 block with 0,0,0 being one of the corners then move your readpoint around, change your alignment offsets to match (remember, opposite of your theos) and if it's done correctly, all your points will end up right where you programmed them.

Hopefully that is clearer than mud.
        Last edited by A-machine-insp; 04-13-2021, 05:45 PM.
        Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• AnAgileTortoise
          AnAgileTortoise commented
          Editing a comment
          Spectacular!! This worked great, thank you for the detailed response! Haven't had a chance to try it with the 1-2-3 block yet but I'll definitely give that a go soon, we do this with every one of our over 10,000 programs and all the old school programmers always just started over if they screwed up the read point so this is going to be massively helpful.

• A-machine-insp
          A-machine-insp commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad I could help AnAgileTortoise !