Need opinions - Circular runout of a diameter to two datums.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions - Circular runout of a diameter to two datums.

I have the following callout on a print. With -A- being a plane and -B- being a cylinder. Currently the way this is dimensioned does not seem right to me.

Runout_1.jpg

Alignment is created using -A- and -B-, and then the Ø49.75 (as a circle) is dimensioned Circular Runout to the Origin (created from A and B). I say this is a bad callout and it should be two seperate callouts.

What say you??

Thanks in advance.

Call out is legal as per my British Standards book.

Comment

I agree. I think it should be two separate callouts.

Comment

• LaserJay
        LaserJay commented
        Editing a comment
        I may have spoken too soon. I just looked at the ASME (1994 Page 49) and they have an example of a runout callout with two datums in the FCF.

• LaserJay
        LaserJay commented
        Editing a comment
        They also have it called the same way in the ASME. Primary is a plane (perpendicular to the hole) and secondary is a diameter (in line with the hole)

But is dimensioning that diameter to "The Origin" correct?

Comment

Level A Rotate to B or stop on highest point or points , I'm guessing that A is a Cylinder and B is a Plane? It would technically be like putting the part on a 3 chuck jaw to level the cylinder and pushing it up against the jaw to touch the 2 highest points or even a point and running an indicator on D
        (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
        They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Hopefully the title block or notes specifies ASME Y14.5-2018, which has in it's forward: ". . . use of concentricity and use of symmetry symbols, are no long supported. Both have been eliminated because other characteristics provide more direct control of features and establish requirements that have a well-defined meaning."

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
            KIRBSTER269 commented
            Editing a comment
            and I was so glad when you announced they got rid of these 2 crappy callouts, what was it? 2 years ago when you posted that?

Callout is legit.

While recalling startup alignment, create a generic plane with an X+ vector.

All in one alignment.... Level to -A-, rotate w/ generic plane to the X+ about the Z, make the cyl your X&Y origin and make the plane your Z.

Then measure the feature as a cylinder. Use a fair amount of hits & levels, you want to cover as much surface as you can. Report the runout of the cyl back to your origin.
          Last edited by DAN_M; 04-13-2021, 07:26 AM.
          SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment