Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer recommendation

My first post here, hello everyone

I did a search and didn't see what I'm looking for, sorry if this has already been covered.

**I'm looking for recommendations for a computer to run our CMM, Global Image, software v4.1.
    Right now I'm using the computer that came with the machine, an HP D530, P4 2.66 with 512MB or shared memory to the integrated video.

I think the CMM is deserving of something more powerful, what do you think and what do you recommend?

Also, I've been having trouble with the connection between the computer and CMM and computer and intranet/internet. One or the other works perfect when only one or the other is used (after a fresh re-boot), but once both are being used I get big time connection problems. Both are connected via ethernet and I think they are butting heads. Any suggestions here?

THANKS!
    -Bill

PC-DMIS 4.2 MR1 - Global Image 7107 - PH10MQ - SP600M

Biggest thing you can do is get a REAL video card. Motherboard cards with shared memory are NOT the way to go. Now that you have posted, if you look at the post, you should see a list of 'close matches' at the bottom of the window.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Get something with the following; a dual core processor about 2.8Ghz or better, the best Nvidia brand video card that you can afford, no joke, and at minimum 2Gig ram.
      sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Welcome

When you do get that computer make sure you are careful when transferring pc-dmis to the new computer. Your best bet is to find the folder where pc-dmis resides and copy the whole thing to another media - cd, memory stick, network folder, etc. Copy all your programs and probe files there too. Then, when the new computer is up and running, copy all that to the new computer. Then, you may want to re-install pc-dmis in that folder.

Doing that will make sure all the files you need are on the new computer.

And, if you don't already do it, you may want to start backing up your probe files and programs on another media. That can save a big headache when probe files get corrupted or a program 'accidentally' gets modified.

Comment

Actually, the new stock computers with the onboard video work really well. I was suprised last year when I started working with one, and it worked like it was supposed to!

So, I'm ok with the stock deal, but I would like a dual core mega ram beast, if someone would buy it.

g
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the replies Per your recommendations we're going with a dual core Intel, 2GB RAM and a decent video card.

I'm talking with my IT guy and he has a couple of questions that I'm hoping you all will help with...

*Are there any special network setting for the communication between the computer and CMM? ...or will it as easy as installing PCDMIS and letting it do it's thing to connect?

*Are there any other drivers to be concerned with?

*After the fresh install, would be copy over the old PCDMIS working directory overwriting the new? Is it safe to say this will have all the old settings and work without any problems?
            Any other thoughts about installing the PCDMIS software?

Thanks again for the replies!
            -Bill

Comment

Here is a little info for you on the TCP/IP set up...

THIS IS IF YOU HAVE A SCANNING HEAD (SP600, SP25).

TCP/IP SETUP ON COMPUTER

Go to Control Panel
              Network Connections
              LAN
              Properties
              Then…
              Highlight TCP/IP
              Then…
              Properties
              Choose radio button tha says “use following IP ADDRESS”
              Type in at IP… 80.128.0.1
              Type in at subnet…255.0.0.0
              Under LAN…
              Properties
              General Tab
              Configure
              Advanced Tab
              Speed & duplex = 10mb FULL

Within PC-DMIS…

Machine Interface Setup
              Use TCp/IP link to drive Machine
              TCP/IP Address= 80.128.0.2
              TCP/IP Port Number= 2001

Jim is right on the ball, and I especially like his pitcures and aspriations. Let me add a little more to this for background information.

The same thing happens to me on occasion. The Leitz system can work with either serial (RS-232) or ethernet (TCP/IP) communications. Both will work for most measureing, but when it comes to scanning and passing large amounts of data, you'll see that TCP/IP is much faster. If you're not scanning, then it probably won't make much difference, unless you are running short of serial ports and would just rather use TCP/IP.

The controller has a fixed IP address, typically something like 80.128.0.1 and the computer might be 80.128.0.2 (or vice versa). They are typically 1 unit apart. To find out what the PC is, you can go to a DOS prompt and enter the command

IPCONFIG /ALL

which will display a fair amount of information, but it will include the ethernet adress of the PC. From the same DOS prompt, enter the command to try to test the connection to the controller, such as

PING 80.128.0.1

or

PING 80.128.0.2

It should return a list of about 5 quick test calls, and you'll know immediately by looking at them if they worked or not. If PING works, then it is not a cable issue. If PING fails, then PC-DMIS will not work.

To find out what PC-DMIS thinks the controller is set to, start it up and to the Edit / Preferences / Machine Interface and look in the tab where you would enable TCP/IP communciations, and you'll see the address it wants to find the controller at.
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

James you are so smart!!!!

Thanks I'll remember that too!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cumofo View Post
                  James you are so smart!!!!

Thanks I'll remember that too!!!
                  aND i'M DEaD Sexy tOO!!!

gIT In mAh biLLY!!!
                  sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I Love my 20" G5 iMac for everything but pc-dmis. The demon must have windoze and you can't rund windoze on a power pc chip.
                    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by PowerJunkie View Post
                      Thanks for all the replies Per your recommendations we're going with a dual core Intel, 2GB RAM and a decent video card.

I'm talking with my IT guy and he has a couple of questions that I'm hoping you all will help with...

*Are there any special network setting for the communication between the computer and CMM? ...or will it as easy as installing PCDMIS and letting it do it's thing to connect?

*Are there any other drivers to be concerned with?

*After the fresh install, would be copy over the old PCDMIS working directory overwriting the new? Is it safe to say this will have all the old settings and work without any problems?
                      Any other thoughts about installing the PCDMIS software?

Thanks again for the replies!
                      Copy over all user folders, *.prg, *.cad, *.prb, *.results, any iges or step files, comp.dat, tool.dat, downl.oad, export your settings editor file. Whatever you do, do not delete anything from your PC-DMIS folder on the old machine. Back it up and keep it forever because no matter how much you move over you'll forget one thing that you need. Do not overwrite the new folder completely copy the stuff in. Hope this helps.
                      sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                        THIS IS IF YOU HAVE A SCANNING HEAD (SP600, SP25).

TCP/IP SETUP ON COMPUTER

Go to Control Panel
                        Network Connections
                        LAN
                        Properties
                        Then…
                        Highlight TCP/IP
                        Then…
                        Properties
                        Choose radio button tha says “use following IP ADDRESS”
                        Type in at IP… 80.128.0.1
                        Type in at subnet…255.0.0.0
                        Under LAN…
                        Properties
                        General Tab
                        Configure
                        Advanced Tab
                        Speed & duplex = 10mb FULL

COLOR][/FONT]

Type in at IP… 204.17.113.168
                        Type in at subnet…255.255.255.0

controller's IP is 204.17.113.169)

What I'm using without any problem..

If you want to know controller's IP , go to HyperTerminal - hit CTRL E -> CTRL B -> CTRL C -> type : SHOW CNTRL_IP (return-enter)
                        The answer is something like : CNTRL 204.17.113.169

Saliha
                        Last edited by Saliha; 06-01-2007, 04:37 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Either seem as you are or be as you seem.M.J.Rumi

Comment

You guys are great, thanks for the replies
                          -Bill

Comment

I just upgraded mine from the HP to a Dell Optiplex 320 with P4 3.2ghz, 1 gig ram, Radeon x1300 w/128 ram and a 20" widescreen. Total price was less than a grand and it is working great. most of my CAD models are less than 5 meg in size. If yours are going to be larger I would recommend 2 gig ram and a 256 meg card. At my previous job I had a 5 meter dual arm Vento measuring truck frames. The CAD files I programmed with were 160 meg and they killed the workstation I was using, even with 2 gig ram and a 512 meg card. Fortunatley after coding a 12k line program I was able to dump the CAD and run it on two lower level IBM desktops. I did all the programming on an offline machine of course. I had a little issue installing 3.5 MR2 on the new Dell but finally got it to work. Also I installed PC-DMIS on the D: Drive and created folders in the root for programs, probe files, cad files and such. This way if you crap out windows and have to reimage you don't lose your latest settings and files. I also highly recommend backing up or ghosting the image on a regular basis. Good Luck.

Comment

Here's an update

I'm now running; Core2Duo 6600, 2GB RAM, and Radeon X1300. This is one of those bundle packages from Dell. This computer runs the CMM only. The old comptuer I still have and use it to access the network and outside world switching between the 2 with a KVM switch and get to look at it all on a 24" Dell flat panel LCD. WOOT!

Difference = NIGHT AND DAY!
                              -Bill

Comment