Changing Controller Wiring When Changing Probe Types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Controller Wiring When Changing Probe Types?

We are running PC-DMIS 2020R2 on a 7-10-7 SF model CMM, and we are changing probe types, going from an analog scanning probe to a touch trigger probe. I know this sounds counterintuitive, to go from a more expensive, and more accurate probe type, to a touch trigger probe, but our application will not allow us to utilize the current probe type to scan parts, so we end up using the probe like a touch-trigger probe any way. The more expensive scanning probe is much more sensitive, and prone to damage, so we actually need a hardier system.

My question is as much about the hardware as the software.

When the tech came in December to do the validation, he told me that we needed to change out the probe, because it had been crashed at some point, and would not maintain sub-micron accuracy, which was required for validation. I was told that prior to my hiring, the previous "programmer" had crashed it into the rack and the surface plate multiple times. Any way, I have in the new HP-TM Probe, and 5 modules to rebuild my current probe styles, as well as the new probe module changer rack.

So, the question is this: The tech that came in December stated that there needed to be a wiring jumper placed somewhere in the controller, and different firmware needed to be installed to operate the CMM with the new probe. We paid for the "optional installation and verification", but the US Southeast Service section of Hexagon seems to be backlogged and haven't even returned my email to get the install completed. So, is it true that there is some mystery wiring jumper that needs to be put in, and different operating firmware needs to be installed, or was that just something the tech said to cause the company to spend money bringing them back out, generating a sale during the slower winter months? I guess the big question is: Is this something I can do for myself?

Waiting days for a return email to even schedule a tech to come out that you've already paid $1400 for, seems a little strange to me.

Sounds fishy to me. I have a PH10 head and can run either the SM25 stuff (scanning) or TP2/TP20 stuff. No re-wiring between needed. If you have the adapter to go from scanning to touch, that should be all you need. But, if it is 100% hex stuff (not Renishaw), who knows?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott D. Haselden View Post
      We are running PC-DMIS 2020R2 on a 7-10-7 SF model CMM, and we are changing probe types, going from an analog scanning probe to a touch trigger probe. I know this sounds counterintuitive, to go from a more expensive, and more accurate probe type, to a touch trigger probe, but our application will not allow us to utilize the current probe type to scan parts, so we end up using the probe like a touch-trigger probe any way. The more expensive scanning probe is much more sensitive, and prone to damage, so we actually need a hardier system.

My question is as much about the hardware as the software.

When the tech came in December to do the validation, he told me that we needed to change out the probe, because it had been crashed at some point, and would not maintain sub-micron accuracy, which was required for validation. I was told that prior to my hiring, the previous "programmer" had crashed it into the rack and the surface plate multiple times. Any way, I have in the new HP-TM Probe, and 5 modules to rebuild my current probe styles, as well as the new probe module changer rack.

So, the question is this: The tech that came in December stated that there needed to be a wiring jumper placed somewhere in the controller, and different firmware needed to be installed to operate the CMM with the new probe. We paid for the "optional installation and verification", but the US Southeast Service section of Hexagon seems to be backlogged and haven't even returned my email to get the install completed. So, is it true that there is some mystery wiring jumper that needs to be put in, and different operating firmware needs to be installed, or was that just something the tech said to cause the company to spend money bringing them back out, generating a sale during the slower winter months? I guess the big question is: Is this something I can do for myself?

Waiting days for a return email to even schedule a tech to come out that you've already paid $1400 for, seems a little strange to me.
      I have a Renishaw SP25 and TP20 set up on my machine. The machine was sold as "scanning ready", unfortunately I wasn't here when the machine was installed to confirm both worked at that time. There is something preventing the SP25 from running in DCC on the machine. Everything with the TP20 works.

The tech tried to blame the SP25 being damaged - Checked the module at Renishaw, everything was fine.

The tech said the wiring may be the issue - Couldn't find anything wrong, I've also gone through this with phone support, again nothing found.

The tech said it could be the wrong controller - Wait shouldn't that be pretty obvious before even showing up, or easily answered after taking a look?

The tech couldn't find anything software related either. He was on the phone with somebody the entire time while trying to figure it out, which is something I could have done without paying $2000.

I then call them back and share this information to a "manager" and was trying to find a solution "... so where do I go from here? I can't keep spending money on maybes and what ifs". They took a few days to respond and sent me another identical quote to come back out. They also replaced a 4 year old counterbalance, was replaced when moving the machine 4 years ago.

The reason I'm sharing this is to be careful you have tech support that knows what they're doing before they waste your money and time

Comment

I think he's wrong.
        I have a LSPX1, a TP20, some old TP2, and some tesa star-p, and nothing to change.
        I change the wiring if I plug a SP600 (little box AC/DC to avoid), and some more wiring / jumper/config (...) if I plug a LSPX 5 instead of the tesa-star m.
        I believe that a basic cmm can run any tesa star p / tp 20 without adding $$...

Comment

Matt's right. If your machine is wired for an analogue probe you should have no issues switching to a simple touch trigger probe. Going the other way is always the issue. No firmware upgrade required regardless of your situation.

The tech was able to detect that the probe was crashed in the past - lol. Sub micron accuracy - lol. You have a SF model CMM according to your post so all this is way out there. I don't need to be Kreskin to know your probe was crashed in the past by the way. It is more a case of how hard and what was damaged.

It sounds like your tech was a bit green (?).
          Last edited by Rondog; 04-07-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

The technician was correct. There is a wiring harness and controller settings that need to be applied depending on the sold configuration and combination of tools. There is a chance it was configured for both scanning and TTP but I wouldn't count on it. The good news is that it as long as all of the wiring supplied with the machine is there it should only take a service visit and correctly configuring the harnesses and settings in the controller.
            Systems Integrator
            Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

• Peter Fuller
              Peter Fuller commented
              Editing a comment
              The firmware should be fine, but the correct type of probe will need to be configured in the FDC control panel. If email fails, call them directly.

• Scott D. Haselden
              Scott D. Haselden commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Peter. They finally responded after hours yesterday to tell me they generated a PO and would try to work me into their schedule, somehow, and would email me back once they were able to do that. The person responding to the email (that I got others involved in), said that the PO's were ONLY generated two days ago.

So, I guess, while my machine is just sitting & down, I should expect to hear something in maybe May, sometime...