Applications Engineer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applications Engineer question

A week or so ago, the power went out at the facility. We are in the middle of a probe rebuild, and waiting on parts, so our CMM has not been being used. It has, however been powered on and sleeping. We have a 7-10-7 SF model. I went to the CMM yesterday to verify some CAD model types that we can import. The CMM was operational, I was able to access files and internet from the unit, as well as send and receive email... PC-DMIS loaded fine, but when I tried to load an existing program, the computer crashed and restarted. I thought this was odd, so I opened DMIS when the computer finished rebooting.

The computer kept crashing and giving me a blue screen error.
    The Stop Code was APC_INDEX_MISMATCH and it says what failed was win32kfull.sys . I have no idea what these are, but it comes up every time I try to load a program. The Measurement Routine page construct will load for about a second or two, then BAM!

The application will also not open a new measurement routine.

I have tried homing the machine several times by turning off the power switch and waiting for several minutes, and restarting the application. Sometimes it does a restart and rehome, and sometimes it doesn't, which I thought strange. Especially since I have seen the XYZ coordinates at the bottom sitting with no numbers in the boxes.

I also got another error that popped up once that said "TCP/IP send error= 100532745"

Any idea what any of this means? I sent a message to our own IT Dept., but have not heard a response yet. I am assuming that the blue screen error is a hardware driver issue, but I could be way wrong. The machine has crashed a dozen or more times in the last two days, as in, every time I have tried to load a program. I have verified all the pathways for measurement routines, probes, import and export defaults. They are all in tact. I'm really scratching my head here, and with the new probe, modules and parts set to ship to us in a little over a week, I need to figure this out. I have also tried running it in administrator mode, as well as in normal mode.

Any help you guys could give would be amazing.
    Last edited by Scott D. Haselden; 04-01-2021, 01:09 PM.

TCP/IP error is a communication error via the CAT5 cable, somewhere.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Scott D. Haselden commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that the jog box cable? Meaning that the Jog Box stopped talking to the controller?

CAT5 (or CAT6) is the standard computer intranet connection (non-wifi connection). Your computer should be connect to your shop net with one cable and to the controller with another one. The jogbox is a different cable. CAT5 ends look a LOT like the old school landline phone connector.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Editing a comment
      The computer is on the Wi-Fi for access to the intranet, so ill check the one going to the controller from the computer box, and see if it is loose/damaged, or something. thanks!

UPDATE:

It turns out that an IT Systems Update was the thing causing the PC to crash on the CMM. According to our IT Dept, the update has done this on several people's computers when running specific, high-memory usage applications.

I did check the CAT5 cable, and it was tight, but the box that it plugs into fell off the shelf, and this could have been the cause of the TCP/IP error, due to the CAT5 wire that might not have been out of socket, per se, but just might not have been making good connection.

Thanks for the help

Comment

• superiorqc1
      superiorqc1 commented
      Editing a comment
      There was a recent Windows update that caused this crash. If you google the error message "win32kfull.sys" it will tell you all about it. It crashed my computer also but it has to do with printing. It would only crash and send the same error message for me only when I tried to print. I uninstalled the windows update listed when I googled the error message and it was all good from there. I am surprised that your IT dept stated that it was from running specific, high-memory usage applications. That is not what is causing the crash. We also had a number of computers at our company crashing because of this. Uninstalling that update fixed the problem.

• Scott D. Haselden
      Editing a comment
      The computer that our IT Dept. put on the CMM was barely above the necessary requirements for running DMIS, much less the security protocols that they wanted to run. That update was related to printing, but because they have placed the same low-capability computers on several machines, there were several machines that we have that would crash the same way. He did mention that some of our computers were crashing when people tried to print, but also said we had that issue with several computers throughout the company network, not related to printing. I don't know why, and the only thing I can think of is that all of our programs are set to automatically print a report, perhaps? IDK. I just know that that update was what was crashing the machine, because when they removed it, the machine ran perfectly again.