Joy stick problems or Somewhere else ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joy stick problems or Somewhere else ?

    All of the sudden today my joystick is acting funny. I have a good firm grip on it and turning it nice and slow to go up and down and all of sudden the dammmned thing lurches sideways. I am going to look at replacing the joystick tomorrow any sugestions? It seems to work fine most of the time maybe once out of every 4 atempts travleing down Z minus in machine coordinates it goes nuts. Giving me heart palpitations as I am working on highly polished Glass today.

    Thanks for any help guys
    Tolerance challenged ... Living in the world of unseen lines.

    This software isn't buggy its an infestation

  • #2
    Originally posted by Lee Johnson View Post
    All of the sudden today my joystick is acting funny. I have a good firm grip on it and turning it nice and slow to go up and down and all of sudden the dammmned thing lurches sideways. I am going to look at replacing the joystick tomorrow any sugestions? It seems to work fine most of the time maybe once out of every 4 atempts travleing down Z minus in machine coordinates it goes nuts. Giving me heart palpitations as I am working on highly polished Glass today.

    Thanks for any help guys
    Mine has been doing that occasionally too. I got a quote from the manufacturer (CH Products) of $238 for mine. I haven't replaced (or ordered) it yet.

    I took it apart about a month ago. I removed it from the jog box and actually disassembled the joystick. It was behaving badly enough that I it couldn't hurt it. I put it back together and it has been behaving since then. I'm not advising you to do the same though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lee Johnson View Post
      All of the sudden today my joystick is acting funny. I have a good firm grip on it and turning it nice and slow to go up and down and all of sudden the dammmned thing lurches sideways. I am going to look at replacing the joystick tomorrow any sugestions? It seems to work fine most of the time maybe once out of every 4 atempts travleing down Z minus in machine coordinates it goes nuts. Giving me heart palpitations as I am working on highly polished Glass today.

      Thanks for any help guys
      OMG!!!! Those are replaceable? If that's the case get a bigger one, that's what I'd do for sure. I wish I knew about that a long time ago. If you have heart palpitations a replacement would probably be your best bet as medication that is made for your condition is not recommended for those with heart problems.

      Getting a new one is great news. Does insurance cover that?
      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
        OMG!!!!

        Getting a new one is great news. Does insurance cover that?

        They are, depending on the model, but the co-pay is a killer....
        sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

        Comment


        • #5
          Make sure you take a good look at work done by the supplier. Sometimes marks are left and the joystick will point in an odd angle. Ask someone if you can see their replacement. Get in real close, grab it, move it around to make sure you will be satisfied.
          When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
            OMG!!!! Those are replaceable? If that's the case get a bigger one, that's what I'd do for sure. I wish I knew about that a long time ago. If you have heart palpitations a replacement would probably be your best bet as medication that is made for your condition is not recommended for those with heart problems.

            Getting a new one is great news. Does insurance cover that?
            You must also increase the amount of blood your body can hold.......excitement can drain too much from one head to the other.......you could fall and hurt yourself or impale someone.....
            Hilton Roberts

            "Carpe Cerveza"

            Comment


            • #7
              You can order just the joystick part. They are not too expensive. You can also fix the rotation problem:
              1) remove the two phillips screws on the top of the z axis knob.
              2) Re-adjust the slotted shafts position.
              3) re-tighten the set screw & replace cover.

              G
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lee Johnson View Post
                All of the sudden today my joystick is acting funny. I have a good firm grip on it and turning it nice and slow to go up and down and all of sudden the dammmned thing lurches sideways.
                Thanks for any help guys


                I've never used it, but you may want to try this:


                http://re3.mm-a5.yimg.com/image/3202162706




                G
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  I thought everyone would get a kick out of the way I wrote this looks Like I was right.. It is strange though.. I am moving manually very slow towards the top of the part when this happens. I have 4 bars light up on the jog box and I always stop about 2 mm above the surface just to make sure I am only twisting the stick and not moving it side to side. Then all of the suden it just shoots to my left along the X axis.. It is going pretty much full speed for 4 bars light up, Just as if I had pegged the joysick to the left. It always seems to go in the same direction. A real Pain in the backside. Sharp 32 controller with a 7.10.7 Excel ..It doesn't seem to mater which Version I use it has happened in 3.2063 and 3.73 It is not drift from the Return spring, that happens as soon as you push the enable button if that is an issue, at least thats how it happened the last time..
                  Tolerance challenged ... Living in the world of unseen lines.

                  This software isn't buggy its an infestation

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There could be something in the joystick. Some type of dirt that is causing it to trigger. You might want to see if you can clean it out with some compressed air. Basically, blowing on your joystick. If I could do that I'd never go out!
                    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You could always try BYOAC.com
                      Recently jumped from 3.5 Mr 2 CAD
                      to 2012 CAD++

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Lee Johnson View Post
                        I thought everyone would get a kick out of the way I wrote this looks Like I was right.. It is strange though.. I am moving manually very slow towards the top of the part when this happens. I have 4 bars light up on the jog box and I always stop about 2 mm above the surface just to make sure I am only twisting the stick and not moving it side to side. Then all of the suden it just shoots to my left along the X axis.. It is going pretty much full speed for 4 bars light up, Just as if I had pegged the joysick to the left. It always seems to go in the same direction. A real Pain in the backside. Sharp 32 controller with a 7.10.7 Excel ..It doesn't seem to mater which Version I use it has happened in 3.2063 and 3.73 It is not drift from the Return spring, that happens as soon as you push the enable button if that is an issue, at least thats how it happened the last time..
                        7.10.7 Excel here too. Mine used to jump in x+ though. It would move really quick for just a split second. Here is the thread from when I had the problem.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You said you are working on polished glass? What do you guys do there? Lenses? Just curious. It always intrigues me to hear about the different applications for CMM's. On a side not, did anyone see the program Ultimate Factories (think it was on History Channel) where they showed the Ferarri factory? They showed a few dual arm DEA's laying out a body. Pretty cool.
                          CMM Programmer
                          Jackson Michigan
                          Mistral 7.7.5
                          4.3MR2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            From the sounds of it it is time to get a new jogbox.
                            I am going to give B&S a call and order a new one. The Done button is pretty hard to push and so is the enable button. It is at least 5 years old so it is time.


                            Yes we make lenses for optical equipment, primarily for producing IC Chips for the computer industry. I spend about 5 % of my time checking glass. 60% of my time checking optical assemblies and the rest of the time checking machined metal or ceramic parts and writing the programs for complicated parts that have tolerances that far exceed machine capibilities.
                            Tolerance challenged ... Living in the world of unseen lines.

                            This software isn't buggy its an infestation

                            Comment

                            Related Topics

                            Collapse

                            • calbritton
                              Teaching pendant problems
                              by calbritton
                              occasionally, when using the teaching pendant, when I press the enable button the ph-10 will start moving in the -y direction without me moving the joystick....
                              06-13-2007, 03:35 PM
                            • phil george
                              Jog Box Woes
                              by phil george
                              Am I the only one that has constant problems with the jog boxes? I just had one that's never been dropped or anything like that suddenly lose the movement...
                              09-06-2007, 01:07 PM
                            • thfoster
                              Probe drift
                              by thfoster
                              Just wondering if this has happened to anybody else. I'm relatively new to CMM's in general (less than a year).

                              Every so often our cmm will...
                              01-15-2008, 09:02 PM
                            • mconklin
                              jogbox
                              by mconklin
                              We are having problems with our jogbox sticking when going up and down. Does anybody know what it might be. Second would it maybe a good idea at looking...
                              11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
                            • Randy P
                              Jog box or Joystick
                              by Randy P
                              I have a 9-15-19 Brown & Sharpe Excel CMM
                              After years of joystick being broke (no screws holding it in) ya dropped many times im sure. I...
                              02-21-2012, 11:48 AM
                            Working...
                            X