CMM measurements are different in different work planes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMM measurements are different in different work planes

I am getting a .0012" discrepancy when I measure a diameter in the z plane (probe at A0B0) and when I measure the same diameter in the y plane (A90B0). I used a calibrated ring gage as a specimen and have the PH10T wrist. I am thinking this is software related since Hexagon has recently serviced the CMM and says that it is within a couple microns.

Have you tried re-calibrating?

Comment

Depends on a lot of parameters !
      What probe ? what length ? far from the sphere or not ? what result on the form ? how many hits ? alignment of the ring......
      I don't think about a soft problem...

Comment

I've recalibrated to the point of insanity (same thing over and over expecting different results). I am using a 10mm extension with a 1mmX27.5mm styli. With the ring laying on the CMM granite, I initially level the face of a .500" ring gage and then measure a cylinder in the ring gage to level. Then I measure a circle at -.100" from the face of the ring gage (measurement is .50003). I then fixtured the ring gage in a v-block in the y plane orientation and measured it the same exact ways (same parameters) and the measurement is .4988"

I can run these two ring gage verification programs on my other two production CMMs and the measurements are within .00015" of each other
        Last edited by edosgood; 03-26-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

What about the circularity ?
          I guess your PH10T is misaligned...

Comment

Obvious question, but it's a small probe, are you sure you're not shanking out?
            Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• JEFMAN
              JEFMAN commented
              Editing a comment
              circularity should answer...

I checked my PH10T alignment and it appears to be good. I tried taking my measurement only .030" into the ring and got the same result (so it is definitely not shaking out)...but there is a lot of form error being reported (.0007"-.001"). I tried a different module and got the same result.

Comment

Originally posted by edosgood View Post
              I checked my PH10T alignment and it appears to be good. I tried taking my measurement only .030" into the ring and got the same result (so it is definitely not shaking out)...but there is a lot of form error being reported (.0007"-.001"). I tried a different module and got the same result.
              Do a graphic analysis of the roundness, is it a 'triangular' pattern? TP20s make a trilobe pattern do to the mechanical switches inside (3-legged switch).
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Check the form of both the circle and the cylinder, perhaps the perpendicularity of the cylinder to the face as well. Looking for a difference between the 2.
                sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

It does have the trilobal pattern that is characteristic of TP20

Comment

Originally posted by edosgood View Post
                    It does have the trilobal pattern that is characteristic of TP20
                    Possible the algorithm used on the Y orientated circle?

If it's Max Insc then it would report smaller due to the trilobing.
                    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• edosgood
                      edosgood commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same algorithm in both programs....

Magnetic V-Block ?

Comment

• edosgood
                      edosgood commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Definitely no magnetic v-block

2 different incidents the other day for me when I was measuring things at different angles. First one was simple 1mm fell off before I realized it 20 minutes later. The other Calibrated three times, even though my results showed good after calibration just taking a single point at the same location at different angles showing .006 different. Before I calibrated it the third time, even though I'm in a "clean room" I rebooted machine and computer, also clean the scales, rehomed the machine, calibrated again and it was within .0002. Not sure what fixed it, but I covered all the simple stuff first.
                    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
                    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg I have a trouble with RationalDMIS.When i start software window appear table in Image 1 and 2 .I click Cancel and start software (Image 3).When i measure standard sphere results are different for each different location .
                      Can you help me with this problem ?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• vpt.se
                        vpt.se commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wrong product forum.

Can you share a copy of actual hits of both circles ?
                      And a screen shot of circularity ?

Comment