Max/min hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max/min hits

I would like to find an easier way to report out the polar radial value of each point in a cylinder. What I’m looking for is to be able to just report the collected points max value and min value one time rather than cyl[1] hit.... a bunch of times. Like maybe a generic feature. But what would the code be? Note: I’m not looking for a dimension format max/min either. That doesn’t show up red if OOT.

Im probably not explaining this well. I basically am trying to see if there are any areas on the cylinder that won’t clean up at machining.

The new size dimension does a pretty good job of reporting the Max and Min and will flag it red if either is out. Insert | Dimension | Size. I use ASME Y14.5 standard.
    PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• Jay_Q
      Jay_Q commented
      Editing a comment
      So, is uame size my min value and local size my max? My least squares circle seems to be the average of those 2.

I never used this “size” before. Never noticed it even existed. Lol

Another option you may consider is to report the profile of the cylinder. A profile dimension will show you the high and low values and will show up red if it goes outside the tolerances you specify.

If you set up your nominals and profile tolerances just right, it will show out of tolerance whether there is too much material or too little material for the next machining process. Plus, if it does show out of tolerance, you can graph it and see right away where the problems are. The problem areas will have red arrows.

Comment

• Jay_Q
      Jay_Q commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s true. Good point. I don’t really need to see the value as a radius just need to know it’s good.

Originally posted by Cris_C View Post
    Another option you may consider is to report the profile of the cylinder. A profile dimension will show you the high and low values and will show up red if it goes outside the tolerances you specify.

If you set up your nominals and profile tolerances just right, it will show out of tolerance whether there is too much material or too little material for the next machining process. Plus, if it does show out of tolerance, you can graph it and see right away where the problems are. The problem areas will have red arrows.
    To follow up with that after you report the profile, you can plug that into an Analysis View and actual see what it's doing visually.

Capture.JPG

(In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

You could use Pythagoras in assignments...
      ASSIGN/V1=SQRT(DOT(CYL1.HIT[1..CYL1.NUMHITS].XYZ-CYL1.XYZ,CYL1.HIT[1..CYL1.NUMHITS].XYZ-CYL1.XYZ))...........3d distance between hits and centroid
      ASSIGN/V2=DOT(CYL1.HIT[1..CYL1.NUMHITS].XYZ-CYL1.XYZ,CYL1.IJK)...................distance between hits and centroid projected along cyl axis
      ASSIGN/V3=SQRT(V1^2-V2^2).......................... radius of each hit

You can assign it in a single assignment :
      ASSIGN/V1=ABS(DOT(CYL1.HIT[1..CYL1.NUMHITS].XYZ-CYL1.XYZ,CROSS(CYL1.IJK,CROSS(CYL1.HIT[1..CYL1.NUMHITS].XYZ-CYL1.XYZ,CYL1.IJK))))....................distance between hits and centroid projected on a plane perp to the cylinder axis, so it's the radius !

If you level Z and origin on the cylinder :
      ASSIGN/V1=SQRT(DOT((CYL1.HIT[1..CYL1.NUMHITS].XYZ-CYL1.XYZ)*MPOINT(1,1,0),CYL1.HIT[1..CYL1.NUMHITS].XYZ-CYL1.XYZ)*MPOINT(1,1,0)))

Then, just assign MAX and MIN of V1 or V3...
      ASSIGN/MAXINDEX or MININDEX gives the location of the hits max and min.

So a generic point with CYL1.HIT[(MAXINDEX(V1)].X,.Y and .Z creates the max point.
      Last edited by JEFMAN; 03-24-2021, 05:11 AM.

Comment

^
        +1

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment