Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Slot

Here is one more,
    I have a square slot, it has a recessed area, kinda like a strengthening bead. If I use the auto feature, it attempts to find all edges including the edge that is recessed. This hit misses the area, since it is lower than the main surface. How can I adjust for this? I tried edge hits and attempted to construct the square slot, but that will not work. PC DMIS cannot consturct the feature.
    Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,
    A.Gore
    sigpicA.Gore

Originally posted by ag162 View Post
    Here is one more,
    I have a square slot, it has a recessed area, kinda like a strengthening bead. If I use the auto feature, it attempts to find all edges including the edge that is recessed. This hit misses the area, since it is lower than the main surface. How can I adjust for this? I tried edge hits and attempted to construct the square slot, but that will not work. PC DMIS cannot consturct the feature.
    Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,
    A.Gore
    The way I have done that is to take 2 hits on each ege of the square slot, all of them edge points WITH 1 surface sample hit. Then, take all the edge points that are on the 'flat' area and construct a plane with them. Project all the points into the plane (even those used to construct the plane, since if you use more than 3 the plane will not be perfect), then construct lines from the points, intersect the corners, construct lines from corner to corner, then intersect those lines. It's a real pain in the butt, but LONG ago, that was the only way you could do it for ANY square hole. It worked then and it still works now, even if it does take qure a few steps to get there.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      The way I have done that is to take 2 hits on each ege of the square slot, all of them edge points WITH 1 surface sample hit. Then, take all the edge points that are on the 'flat' area and construct a plane with them. Project all the points into the plane (even those used to construct the plane, since if you use more than 3 the plane will not be perfect), then construct lines from the points, intersect the corners, construct lines from corner to corner, then intersect those lines. It's a real pain in the butt, but LONG ago, that was the only way you could do it for ANY square hole. It worked then and it still works now, even if it does take qure a few steps to get there.
      Oh, did the sphere setting work for you? (we need another thread to hijack!)
      sigpic
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thanks Matt. The sphere worked fine. As for the slot prb, that is definately a long way around it, and I agree, in the early days that was the way that I was taught, I was just hoping with todays technology, there was a way to adjust the hits within the feature. I'm also attempting to use the cylinder styli and adjust the depth, so that all hits will meet the material. But if this fails, I will definately use the old method,,,,oops,,early method. Almost showed our age here. Thanks.

A.Gore
        sigpicA.Gore

Comment

Thanks Matt. The sphere worked fine. As for the slot prb, that is definately a long way around it, and I agree, in the early days that was the way that I was taught, I was just hoping with todays technology, there was a way to adjust the hits within the feature. I'm also attempting to use the cylinder styli and adjust the depth, so that all hits will meet the material. But if this fails, I will definately use the old method,,,,oops,,early method. Almost showed our age here. Thanks.

A.Gore
          Yeah, it kind of sucks that you can adjust the hits in a manually learned feature (like a circle) for different heights but not the DCC features.

Have you ever run into this:

Round slot, lets say, 20mmx50mm. One end of the slot (about 1/2 of the slot) is on a flat surface, the other half is in a HUGE radius of the part. Howinthehell do you measure THAT one?
          sigpic

Comment

WOW,,,,that definately sounds like a plane and projected points. Is it just me,,or are these parts getting more complex lately? The basic designs used to work fine.

A.Gore
            sigpicA.Gore

Comment

YIPPEE!!!! The shank styli worked.

A.Gore
              sigpicA.Gore

Comment

WOW,,,,that definately sounds like a plane and projected points. Is it just me,,or are these parts getting more complex lately? The basic designs used to work fine.

A.Gore
                Actually, I have seen parts like this since I have been in the business. Sheet-metal-automotive-frame stampings. For some reason, they always seem to want to put the die-control slots (that hold the blank in the form die) in areas that are radii on the finished part. I gave up LONG ago trying to measure them as slots and just measure them as 2 circles. As heavy as the stock is, the slot-end that is in the form radius still gets good hits on the shear.

Yeah, here is an example of one (I just made it in Cadkey)

Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 10-29-2007, 01:10 PM.
                sigpic

Comment