Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GD&T from capture Datum targets

Hello all again,

I recently started trying to use GD&T from capture function and I noticed that on most of the prints we use datum targets for a in 3 or more locations in a size of 5mm if not more. The GD&T from capture is not allowing more than one item as datum A for obvious reasons. So my question is, is there a way to determine datum targets in the capture screen or do you have to establish those points before using the from capture and select the plane created from all targets as your datum when prompted to select datum a?

Whenever you have datum targets defined on the drawing you should align to those target features - usually via an iterative or best fit alignment. Once aligned you should create alignment planes - one for each axis - and define those as the datums. This is because the trihedron represents the datum reference frame defined by the datum targets. The capture tool will only add in features and can not interpret complex combinations of datum targets that define alignments so, as you correctly assumed, you need to establish those separately before hand.
    Neil Challinor
    PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
    E: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by neil.challinor View Post
      Whenever you have datum targets defined on the drawing you should align to those target features - usually via an iterative or best fit alignment. Once aligned you should create alignment planes - one for each axis - and define those as the datums. This is because the trihedron represents the datum reference frame defined by the datum targets. The capture tool will only add in features and can not interpret complex combinations of datum targets that define alignments so, as you correctly assumed, you need to establish those separately before hand.
      i figured as much i just wanted to make sure there wasn't a way to allow the software to do it on its own, thank you so much

Comment