CAD Backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD Backwards

Just to let everyone know, because I just did this. I have 2 identical parts that are mirror image of each other, Except for 2 little cutouts on one. So I made a mirror of one and all was fine except I could not Scan the cutouts because they were not there. So I went ahead and pulled the correct STEP file in the mirrored program, and my CAD model was backwards, thought it was the CAD model at first but when I created a NEW program and pulled it in, It was correct, So Be Warned of your friendly mirrored programs.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Weird! I do this all the time, never had one backwards. 2015 demon.
    sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      must be the new bells and whistles added to 2020

Hmm I haven't seen this. Interesting. But the last time I mirrored a program was with 2018.

Comment

So here's a little more to make your stomach churn. So like I told you when I created a New Program and imported it. it came out normal So we all know when you create a new program, it creates 4 files, One being PRG. and the other CAD. So from my mirrored program, I chose to import CAD file and chose it from my New Program and when it appeared it showed up like the one on the right, which is Correct, But when I chose STEP file and imported it in, It came up like the one on the Left, which is Wrong.

Capture.JPG
      (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
      They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Very strange. I have mirrored programs using 2015 through 2021.1 and the only issue I have ever had is it sometimes throws weird probe angles like A0B180 instead of A0B0 but it is rare.
        Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
          KIRBSTER269 commented
          Editing a comment
          I see that all the time.

• A-machine-insp
          A-machine-insp commented
          Editing a comment
          KIRBSTER269 I guess you have just graduated to more advanced DMIS issues then...

I guess if you want to import a new CAD into a mirrored program you should tick the box "Do not mirror CAD" when you mirror the program. I imagine the mirroring action is inside the .CAD file itself. That's probably why when you import the .CAD file from the new program it was fine but when you imported the STEP file in to the mirrored program the mirroring mechanism was still active inside the .CAD file.

Good to know. Thanks.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Every.Time.
          Frustrating.
          My guess is there is a general "mirror" parameter that gets turned on?

Comment