1:10 Taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1:10 Taper

How can I dimension this? I am assuming that for every 1 unit in Y I should have 10 units in X?

Is this correct?

The overall height is 3.250" so for 3.250 in Y I should be .3250 in X which would be a 5.711° half angle?
    Attached Files

A quick Goooooooooooogle search:

"The taper is the inclusive angle. Tapering of the propeller shaft. All propellers in stock at TechProMax have the standard taper 1:10. This means that the difference between the largest and the smallest diameter of the tapered hole represents 10% of the length of the propeller's boss (D-d=0.1 x L)."

Comment

Okay. Good. So a 1:10 taper of a Ø2.8500 that is 3.2500 in length should have be D=2.8500 and a d=Ø2.525
      2.850 - 2.525 = .1 x 3.250 which is true

I have been given the numbers length 3.250, Ø2.850, Ø2.525, and 1:10 taper. I was just verifying because it is an internal drawing. (which is not something we do often)

So for inspection of the taper I guess I will just check the large diameter and the small diameter and maybe a reference angle of the cone.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserJay View Post
        Okay. Good. So a 1:10 taper of a Ø2.8500 that is 3.2500 in length should have be D=2.8500 and a d=Ø2.525
        2.850 - 2.525 = .1 x 3.250 which is true

I have been given the numbers length 3.250, Ø2.850, Ø2.525, and 1:10 taper. I was just verifying because it is an internal drawing. (which is not something we do often)

So for inspection of the taper I guess I will just check the large diameter and the small diameter and maybe a reference angle of the cone.
        Sounds like the route I would go.

Comment

What is the tolerance, e.g. how is it dimensioned? The 1:10 just defines the taper ratio, but where is the tolerance?
          PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Schrocknroll View Post
            What is the tolerance, e.g. how is it dimensioned? The 1:10 just defines the taper ratio, but where is the tolerance?
            There is no tolerance on the taper. Only on the top diameter. The small diameter is called as a reference.

Comment

• LaserJay
              LaserJay commented
              Editing a comment
              ukcmm . . .

• Mike Ruff
              Mike Ruff commented
              Editing a comment
              One time I got a literal napkin drawing with a Ø1/5in hole and a 8/32 hole. It was by far THE WORST "drawing" I had ever seen. I had to call the dude and confirm he wanted a Ø.200 hole and a 1/4" hole. When I talked to him, he said "eight thirty-seconds" and I said, "So a 1/4 inch?" and he said "No, an eight thirty-seconds screw hole." "So you want an 8-32 threaded hole?" "Uuhhh, yeah, I guess so." This came from an engineer at a very large and legitimate aerospace company too... There was also no language barrier, he just knew absolutely nothing. I couldn't believe it

• LaserJay
              LaserJay commented
              Editing a comment
              Mike Ruff thats incredible lol