Star Probe on Leitz LSP-S2 Probe Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Probe on Leitz LSP-S2 Probe Head

Good Morning- I do not know anything when it comes to star probes. I've been programming cmm's using articulating probe heads so I haven't had any need for stars. I took a new job and on the interview the guy training me assured me that stars are easy peasy they are not and we are clueless

Our vertical stars appear to be measuring properly. We are having major problems when it comes to our horizontal star probes. There is a star probe on the north and south end of the probe build. All tips pass calibration. We use 2 spheres to calibrate with an auto calibrate program. The sphere that checks all tips besides the tips in the Z+ direction is sphere 1 (8 tips total) and sphere 2 is used for the Z+ tips (2 total).

We measured a ring gage using a 4 point auto circle with the front probe and then measured 4 points at the same depth with the star tips. The locations of all are good except for the Z+ probe on both ends of the build. When we ran into issues with the first horizontal star we tried this on another horizontal star and yielded the same results.

Has anyone ever seen this or know how I can fix it? I appreciate any suggestions as I have no idea why this would be happening. Thank you
    Attached Files

Use one sphere. I have the same probe head.
    sigpicTAU ALPHA PI INDIANA DELTA CHAPTER
    "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

BOTH qual-tools must be measured with T1A0B0 as "moved" tools, then calibrate the rest as "not-moved"
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

We locate each of the spheres with our master probe T1A0B0 and then calibrate the stars as "not-moved".

The star probes passes calibration but the Z+ probe isn't measuring correctly.

Comment

I tried doing something like this back in PC-DMIS 2011 and it did not work.
          Which controller? B3 / B5?
          "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

I am not 100% sure, I was looking in the book and it says "Electronics cabinet B4". Is this what you're asking for?
            These star probes have measured correctly up until recently (for 10+ years). We have to use 2 spheres to calibrate because there are probes in every direction. We have not crashed the machine and it was just calibrated in December. All of our vertical stars are measuring correctly.

My question here is, has anyone else had issues with horizontal stars not measuring correctly, if so I would appreciate advice on how to fix the issue. Attached is a picture of the probe. It looks gigantic but it weighs less than 2lb. Our probe head is rated for 2.5lb.
            Attached Files

Comment

Got it, did you try what Mr. Hoedeman suggested. you have checked air line pressure, regulator settings to probe head, weight balance. Tips are tight. Probe weight?
              Whos your Leitz service guy? Personally I would call Dave Harvey at Hex.

Comment

We figured out the problem. Hexagon installed a new computer and obviously something didn't carry over to the new computer. We switched back to the old computer to test and everything measures correctly now.

Comment