2020R2 Geometric Tolerance: Analysis Window Unequal Tolerance Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020R2 Geometric Tolerance: Analysis Window Unequal Tolerance Band

The analysis window on an unequal tolerance ASME profile doesn't show an unequal tolerance. The tolerance band looks pretty equal to me.

After further review, this is a major change in the software, which I don't agree. I want to see the unequal tolerance zone.

Unequal_Tolerance_Analysis View.png
    Last edited by bfire85; 03-12-2021, 10:47 AM.

Yeah profiles are output differently in 2020 R2 than previous versions due to the way profiles are evaluated in the new ASME Y14.5 spec.

https://www.hexagonmi.com/about-us/e...o-deal-with-it

This video explains it well. Even though it's different you should still get the same results.

Comment

Originally posted by MetsoMetrology View Post
      Yeah profiles are output differently in 2020 R2 than previous versions due to the way profiles are evaluated in the new ASME Y14.5 spec.

https://www.hexagonmi.com/about-us/e...o-deal-with-it

This video explains it well. Even though it's different you should still get the same results.
      I understand that, however the tolerance band in the graphical analysis should still show the unequal band widths.

Comment

• MetsoMetrology
        MetsoMetrology commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, but unfortunately no

When you're using unequal, the software is still evaluating correctly. You'll get the correct number output. But for some reason they show the tolerance bands on "analysisview"-s as bilateral ONLY. No option to display as unequal. This confuses the old guys at my shop & is (in our opinion) an area for improvement
      Last edited by DAN_M; 03-15-2021, 08:21 AM.
      SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

• MetsoMetrology
        MetsoMetrology commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah it's not intuitive at all

MetsoMetrology PC DMIS is pretty behind other software when it comes to graphical analysis stuff. QUINDOS is FAR superior in that regard.
      SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

Rob Jensen Can we get the unequal tolerance zones back in graphical analysis? This is confusing as now I needed to explain to the operators and management why it's different than what they have been used to for the last several years.

Comment

Originally posted by bfire85 View Post
          Rob Jensen Can we get the unequal tolerance zones back in graphical analysis? This is confusing as now I needed to explain to the operators and management why it's different than what they have been used to for the last several years.
          I haven't used that modifier in a couple of years. But I have had to in the past and remember having good "anslysisview"-s in like 2017 or 2018.

Why would they get rid of that capability? Huge step backwards.

Comment

bfire85
            https://hexagonmi.userecho.com/en/co...s-view-command

For you

Comment

I used my last "like" on you. I was holding onto it for a suggestion worth it! You won!

Comment

I used my last "like" on you. I was holding onto it for a suggestion worth it! You won!
                Thanks!

The PCD forum gives you unlimited likes! =P

Comment

Originally posted by DAN_M View Post

Thanks!

The PCD forum gives you unlimited likes! =P
                  Yes, however the suggest features only gives you 10. I may have to unlike something in order to gain more likes.

Comment

Yes, however the suggest features only gives you 10. I may have to unlike something in order to gain more likes.
                    I know I was just messing with you while making a post to shamelessly boost my comment count
                    Last edited by DAN_M; 03-12-2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I understand the reason behind this change. As with the (U) or UZ modifier the middle of the tolerance zone is not equal with the nominal of the part.
                      The calculation for the profile uses the worst deviation from the middle of the zone (worst x2).
                      But I agree that is is much clearer how your part looks when you actually have an unequal zone in the graphics. It helps everyone understand the graphic much better in my opinion.

Rob Jensen maybe an additional line for the nominal can be added? I think it would help understanding the graphics better.

unequal.png ​​​​​​​

Comment

Hopefully they come through with this one.

Comment

I think I already put something along these lines on the idea center a few months ago.

https://hexagonmi.userecho.com/en/co...is-improvement

Comment

• MetsoMetrology
                            MetsoMetrology commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah you created that one after I posted pretty much this same thread last year after I updated lol