4.2 Upgrade Issues / Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.2 Upgrade Issues / Help

I upgraded from 3.7 MR2 and ouch!! What in the world are they thinking? First, virtually impossible to run both versions / test the new while retaining the old. Anyway, our time is expiring so I had to install and try to get as much info as I can.
    1) Is there any way to get a simple text report? The fancy stuff is nice and all but most of the time I just want the numbers and now I cannot get that. I either get a 45 page Graphic Report with fancy dioamrams and multi color or I get PPAP Format where I don't quite get all the information I want.
    2) Does the new version work correctly with Multiple Datum Bonuses? 3.7 did not and the fix was promised.
    3) Had a few issues with straightness. Report totally crazy numbers. Line was constructed from Edge Points and this was not a problem in 3.7. Had to use Profile - Form Only to get the 'correct' values. Any ideas why straightness would behave erratically like this. A regular measured line showed no issues.
    4) I have never liked the Command Mode Interface. Way too busy and doesn't show enough information in a screen for me. So, I have always used Summary Mode Interface. However, Command Mode Interface was necessary to find where PC DMIS stopped when it ran into a problem during a program. Command mode was the only screen with the red arrow pointer. Now, I do not have the luxury of having both modes available. In 4.2 it appears it is either / or. Why is this? Is there a workaround? The faxct that PC DMIS does not let you know where your are is frustrating enough. But, to prevent you from finding out easily seems ludicrous to me. Any help here?
    Bill Jarrells
    A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

1)Simple text : page One in the Report Window, right-click, Edit Object..., Use Text Mode Dimension Reporting(Mark).
    You can create new clean Report via : File, Reporting, New, Report Template. With no graphic here, output should be plain .rtf

Comment

I know that "Datum Shift" did not work correctly with 4.1 but I did not have a chance to see if it was corrected in 4.2 as of yet.
      sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Reporting

Rob K
        Thanks. I can get a data report now. Maybe the whole thing isn't as bad as it seems - LOL. These guys are not into the whole 'user friendly' thing thought, are they?
        Bill
        Bill Jarrells
        A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment

Datum Bonuses

Seems like Datum Bonuses should not be that hard to work out. I currently add them to my excel spreadsheets because PC DMIS is unable to take them into account. Still, it makes for a sloppy looking report from PC DMIS. All the RED that should be GREEN and will be green once the proper bonuses are applied etc. Get tired of explaining to everytime - LOL
          It certainly seems that all the geniuses collaborating on the program should be able to fix make the program include Datum Bonuses. Hmm.
          Bill Jarrells

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
            I upgraded from 3.7 MR2 and ouch!! What in the world are they thinking? First, virtually impossible to run both versions / test the new while retaining the old. Anyway, our time is expiring so I had to install and try to get as much info as I can.
            Many of us maintain multiple versions of PC-DMIS and many run new and old on the same CMM with no problems. If you had searched the forum before installing 4.2 Matthew had instructions on how to do this painlessly.

I have on my CMMs V3.7MR2, V3.7MR3, V4.1 and soon to be V4.2. I have played with V4.1 but run V3.7MR3 as it is the most stable version with the most "toys".
            Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
            Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Seems like Datum Bonuses should not be that hard to work out. I currently add them to my excel spreadsheets because PC DMIS is unable to take them into account. Still, it makes for a sloppy looking report from PC DMIS. All the RED that should be GREEN and will be green once the proper bonuses are applied etc. Get tired of explaining to everytime - LOL
              It certainly seems that all the geniuses collaborating on the program should be able to fix make the program include Datum Bonuses. Hmm.

You could assign variables to calculate the bonus for you. Takes longer but the report is correct.........
              sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

As I see it, it's hard to be "user friendly"; in my case, customers do have such variety of demands how Report should look like that it's impossible to reach the goal without programming in Excel, VB...
                Sad fact is that the best option would be basic ANSI...
                I call this "hundred years before wooden spoon syndrom"

Comment

4.2 has to show or go

That's it. Something has to give. 4.2 has to prove itself today or go away. The reports generated are not even viewable. What gives here? Every report generated since the installation of 4.2 is 'blank'.

Somebody said something about user friendliness being impossible. Perhaps. Still, LK DMIS is more Powerful and easier to use. So, it can be done. But, my complaint is just that everything is so backwards. Like the reports showing up blank. They print OK the first time but when you go back to look at the stored copy it is blank. The few I did get data on are single column, 488 page reports. I hope the guys who wrote this thing are on the board here. SLOW DOWN WITH THE BELLS AND WHISTLES UNTIL THE BASICS WORK!!!! Don't forget who has to actually USE your stuff.

I am not some complete idiot here. I have been running CMM's for 16 years and have programmed in 8 different languages. Never have I seen such a garbled mess of crap trying to impress and dazzle with dysfunctionality. Sure, they all have their quirks and have to train you on particulars. But, this is ridiculous. I call the local tech support and they don't even know what is going on. They say call Hexagaon because they don't know anything about 4.2.

Someone else told me I should have contacted the Forum before installing so I could get a smooth install. Guess what, I called Tech Support. THREE TIMES I installed this software with directions from three different Techs and not one of them worked smoothly. If the trained Techs don't know how to use the stuff - - - - - - - -

Someone else said I could program around the dysfunctionality of Bonus Tolerances. True. Then why in the heck is that feature in the program in the first place? Another dysfunctional aspect. How can anything this software spits out be trusted? How do I know what is working correctly and what is not? Sure, I can see the gross errors. What about the ones I don't catch because they aren't so obvious?

This 'upgrade' has been ferociously horrible. What a mess.

I apologize in advance for my rant. That is, I apologize to everyone EXCEPT the guys responsible for writing this mess.
                  Bill Jarrells

Comment

That's it. Something has to give. 4.2 has to prove itself today or go away. The reports generated are not even viewable. What gives here? Every report generated since the installation of 4.2 is 'blank'.

Somebody said something about user friendliness being impossible. Perhaps. Still, LK DMIS is more Powerful and easier to use. So, it can be done. But, my complaint is just that everything is so backwards. Like the reports showing up blank. They print OK the first time but when you go back to look at the stored copy it is blank. The few I did get data on are single column, 488 page reports. I hope the guys who wrote this thing are on the board here. SLOW DOWN WITH THE BELLS AND WHISTLES UNTIL THE BASICS WORK!!!! Don't forget who has to actually USE your stuff.

I am not some complete idiot here. I have been running CMM's for 16 years and have programmed in 8 different languages. Never have I seen such a garbled mess of crap trying to impress and dazzle with dysfunctionality. Sure, they all have their quirks and have to train you on particulars. But, this is ridiculous. I call the local tech support and they don't even know what is going on. They say call Hexagaon because they don't know anything about 4.2.

Someone else told me I should have contacted the Forum before installing so I could get a smooth install. Guess what, I called Tech Support. THREE TIMES I installed this software with directions from three different Techs and not one of them worked smoothly. If the trained Techs don't know how to use the stuff - - - - - - - -

Someone else said I could program around the dysfunctionality of Bonus Tolerances. True. Then why in the heck is that feature in the program in the first place? Another dysfunctional aspect. How can anything this software spits out be trusted? How do I know what is working correctly and what is not? Sure, I can see the gross errors. What about the ones I don't catch because they aren't so obvious?

This 'upgrade' has been ferociously horrible. What a mess.

I apologize in advance for my rant. That is, I apologize to everyone EXCEPT the guys responsible for writing this mess.
                    But apart from that, how are you finding it?
                    If I have offended anyone with this post, I'd like to take this opportunity to say BOLLOCKS
                    Dry your eyes Princess and man up.

Comment

LOL
                      I am going to take the 4 hours necessary and go back to 3.7 MR2 then upgrade to MR3. I will leave the new ones installed but won't use them. I will keep an eye on e the Forum and if something magical happens or I absolutely NEED something only in 4.1 or 4.2 then I will fire them up. Until then, 3.7 is bad enough - LOL

In all fairness PC DMIS does have some redeeming qualities. Pattern Copy is one. Other than that - - - - - there is easier money out there.
                      Bill Jarrells

Comment

What about the Auto Features and the Auto Alignment Update. I have tried one other and came crawling back asking for forgiveness.
                        sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

I actually like the Control with Auto feature. I don't like the fact the 4.2 interperets the older features wrong sometimes and crashes out. I never liked the auto alignment update before. It was too easy to get in a hurry and answer incorrectly. I would rather have a button to click when I 'want' PC DMIS to update and otherwise leave me alone to do what I do. I haven't encountered the Auto Align Update in 4.2 yet.
                          Bill Jarrells

Comment

I actually like the Control with Auto feature. I don't like the fact the 4.2 interperets the older features wrong sometimes and crashes out. I never liked the auto alignment update before. It was too easy to get in a hurry and answer incorrectly. I would rather have a button to click when I 'want' PC DMIS to update and otherwise leave me alone to do what I do. I haven't encountered the Auto Align Update in 4.2 yet.
                            I have learned to always answer YES to "Do you want to update the features to the new alignment" even if it was not your intention to change the alignment. Whenever you answer NO, you cannot get it back the way it was before because features have now changed. It's easier to answer YES and then change it back and answer YES again.

I didn't realize how nice the auto features were until I didn't have them in another software. Try making an edge point with out it on a part that moves around and you'll have a greater appreciation for them.
                            sigpic GDTPS - 0584

Comment

Wingman please don't hold back ,,, Tell us how you really feel .. You can have multiple versions on one machine. I have 4.1 , 3.73 and 3.2063 all on the same machine and run them all. I have to bounce back from one version to the other because They do not export the RTF files the same way and the powers to be do not want to spend the time redoing there Excell macros. I only use $.1 (is this a Freudian slip) to play with though. I might try 4.2 someday. When was $.1 first released it seems to me that it was over a year ago. If so are they in violation of the guaranteed 1 new version per year with a paid SMA.
                              Tolerance challenged ... Living in the world of unseen lines.

This software isn't buggy its an infestation

Comment