Touch Speed for <2 mm probe diameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch Speed for <2 mm probe diameters

I stumbled across this sentence in the CMM 101 training booklet, "For probe diameters <2 mm, use a maximum touch speed of 0.8mm/sec (due to shank bending)"

We always use a 1 mm probe and run at 3 mm/s touch speed and haven't had issues. This has never been adjusted with repairs or calibrations and I've never heard of a maximum touch speed that low from any tech or anything on this forum.

I was looking to lower the touch speed because I'm trying to reduce variance on a part that may be being moved by the probe, and then stumbled across this. Can anyone speak to this? Should I go ahead and change our touch speed to 0.8 mm/sec?

Bending or shank deflection. AS LONG AS you use the exact same touch speed when calibrating as you do when measuring, then the 'deflection' will be the same, giving good results. IF you are getting good STD and SIZE results from your calibration, you are good to go.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I"m flying at around 6-7mm/s without issues (1mm tip being the smallest at that speed and a fairly long shank)... output matches the rock measurement to the T. Time is money and cranking the touch speed up shaved a couple seconds even a minute on some routines. My block tolerance for .XXX ± .010 with some dimensions getting down into the deeper end of the decimal point but I slow down for those.

Using an LSPX sensor.
      PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
      Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

If you want to slow that touch speed down, you can decrease your prehit/retract to help keep the time the same. 1mm pre / retract I believe is the lowest you can / should go. most tolerancres I get are in the .0001" to .0003" range
        sigpicTAU ALPHA PI INDIANA DELTA CHAPTER
        "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment