Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show subroutine CAD in graphics window

Hi,
    I'm trying to use a subroutine to align a base plate for a number of programs.
    I want to show the CAD of the the subroutine in the graphics window during execution as the alignment involves an operator taking 6 manual hits before the program goes into DCC. The sub works as it should but I just cant get it to show the CAD i need to see.
    At the moment all I'm getting in the graphics window is the CAD from the main program. Also viewsets dont seem to work whilst the sub is running.
    I'm running 2016.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by ianieleat; 02-26-2021, 07:10 AM.

Does it need to be seen all the time? is the component in your CAD Assembly window? not sure if there is a command to automate turning off and on CAD.
    sigpicTAU ALPHA PI INDIANA DELTA CHAPTER
    "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

I'm not sure it can be done.

Perhaps a simpler solution. Do a screen shot of the base plate CAD from a different program, annotate it in MS paint showing where the hits need to be taken (do more than one image in necessary) and display it in an operator comment(s).

Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

I am doing something very similar:

yeah, you could use PowerPoint actually, using screen snips (windows 10) dump them into PP, add nice looking arrows and notes. Save as a jpg file. you can insert it into a operator comment.
        If you dont need text, the snippet tool does basic markup like paint. save it as a jpeg
        jpeg_sample.JPG

Last edited by Benedictj1; 02-26-2021, 07:41 AM.
        "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

Make the plate alignment it's own program (not a sub), then save the alignment to an external file, then have the programs recall that. You should be able to just align it once for EVERY part that goes on the plate. In fact, once aligned and saved to an external file, if the plate stays in the same place on the machine all the time, you'll never have to measure it again.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for the replies.
            I'd thought of having pictures as an aide but if the CAD on the screen doesn't look like what's actually on the CMM unfortunately it'll just be an excuse for our operators to do something wrong.
            I may just have to have an independent alignment program I think rather than using a sub routine.

Comment

jpeg_sample_2.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                Make the plate alignment it's own program (not a sub), then save the alignment to an external file, then have the programs recall that. You should be able to just align it once for EVERY part that goes on the plate. In fact, once aligned and saved to an external file, if the plate stays in the same place on the machine all the time, you'll never have to measure it again.
                That makes total sense Did not realize the fixture is not changing as the parts change. I do the same thing on a dedicated machine on the floor. However, the operators I work with are experienced Journeymen Machinists that have admin rights on the PC...lol nothing ever goes wrong out there...program does not even look the same now..ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by ianieleat View Post
                  Hi, Thanks for the replies.
                  I'd thought of having pictures as an aide but if the CAD on the screen doesn't look like what's actually on the CMM unfortunately it'll just be an excuse for our operators to do something wrong.
                  I may just have to have an independent alignment program I think rather than using a sub routine.
                  Darwin forbid you come to an intersection with your co-workers... "I didn't see the stop sign ociffer".
                  PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
                  Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

widgetinstance 190 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X