Machine Parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Parameters

Is there somewhere I can tweak this so I can get the last 1/4 inch of z-axis travel in my measuring envelop? Always pisses me off when I get a job set up only to find out I need another mouse turd of axis travel to measure the **** thing.

Probably not. Some of the older machines you could tweak and get a little, but I doubt any machine made in the last 20 years can be tweaked. Is it a clearance problem (bridge won't clear) or are you out of 'range'? If out of range, can you use a different probe angle or make a 'custom' tip? I have had parts that were 8" longer than the Y travel of hte machine (longest axis of the machine) and I was able to measure it all by using a partial star-probe and a 75,0 and 75,-180 probe angle (with the partial star tip pointing almost down at those angles).
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Fudge...I'll have to slip a 123 block under the **** thing. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Actually, the arm goes down far enough to take the measurement, but I get a machine out of parameter tolerance message before the arm has actually bottomed out. This is in the vertical axis (Z on my machine).

Comment

Put in a longer probe buildup. I wish I had that problem. With just the PH9 in the Z-column, the head itself will touch my table, so with ANY probe in it, I can more than reach the table.
          sigpic
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

that's the Table avoidance buffer. you can adjust it. (snicker, he-he)

http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3732789422
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cumofo View Post
              that's the Table avoidance buffer. you can adjust it. (snicker, he-he)

http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3732789422
              ROTFLMAO
              sigpic

B&S Global 544
              Using 3.7mr3

Peace
              Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

I'm using a 90>90 tip to check a bore, so a long tip isn't going to help me. How do you adjust the table avoidance buffer??

Comment

Originally posted by gcunniff View Post
                  I'm using a 90>90 tip to check a bore, so a long tip isn't going to help me. How do you adjust the table avoidance buffer??

How deep are you going in the bore? Can you use a 82.5,90 tip?
                  sigpic

Comment

You know, I always like to put my parts up on a block high enough that when at my lowest Z in the program if the probe were to be 'accidentally' rotated to A0B0 the probe (the TP20 I don't care so much about the tip) can't contact the table.

Comment

2.4" into a 0.987" dia. bore. I could change the tip angle, but then I wouldn't be able to sample points all the way around the diameter.

Normally, I'd just use a couple 123 blocks and redo the setup, but this is the 2nd job this week where I've run out of room and it's beginning to chap my buttocks....

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                        You know, I always like to put my parts up on a block high enough that when at my lowest Z in the program if the probe were to be 'accidentally' rotated to A0B0 the probe (the TP20 I don't care so much about the tip) can't contact the table.

That is a VERY good point.

Comment

2.4" into a 0.987" dia. bore. I could change the tip angle, but then I wouldn't be able to sample points all the way around the diameter.

Normally, I'd just use a couple 123 blocks and redo the setup, but this is the 2nd job this week where I've run out of room and it's beginning to chap my buttocks....
                          http://mud.mm-a8.yimg.com/image/4113230239
                          I would suggest...

anyone else?
                          sigpic

Comment

lol....I'll have to look into that.

I have a total z-axis travel of 17.978". with the head at a 90>90 tip, I have approximately 1" between the bottom of the PH10M and the plate, when I run the axis out to its limit. When I set this job up to check it, the bottom of the bore is actually at around 1.1". So I still have some distance to go when I manually drive the machine, but when I go into DCC I get the machine out of parameter limits.

Comment

lol....I'll have to look into that.

I have a total z-axis travel of 17.978". with the head at a 90>90 tip, I have approximately 1" between the bottom of the PH10M and the plate, when I run the axis out to its limit. When I set this job up to check it, the bottom of the bore is actually at around 1.1". So I still have some distance to go when I manually drive the machine, but when I go into DCC I get the machine out of parameter limits.

AH-HA!

Lower your PREHIT and RETRACT values OR put in a check distance value. Without a check distance value in the program (I never use it) Pcdmis will want to be able to travel BEYOND the nominal hit position by the prehit and retract values. The other option is to change the start/end angles of the circle you are checking so that it does not want to take a hit in the straight-down direction.
                              sigpic

Comment