First time user with some problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time user with some problems.

I didn't see a FAQ anywhere, so please forgive me if these questions seem redundant if they were convered before. Last year my company purchased a CMM setup and we had a QE that was responsible for the programming and what not. Recently he left the company, and my superiors felt that since I'm in the IT department I could easily trouble shoot the issues they might run in to.

To make a long story short we are using version 3.7MR3. We had some programs for some product we ran last year (15 different part variations). When we went to run this item last week the program was not displaying the correct dimensions to be measured. This only occurred on a few of the programs, not all. The odd thing was these programs were the original copies that we had stored remotely so they could not of been altered. We have since brought in a 3rd party contractor to help us resolve these issues and program a few items for us.

Our contractor has ran into issues with a newly programmed part only running complete in online mode rather than operator mode, the CAD files keep getting corrupted when she alters the program. When I run through the same activites I don't run into any issues. The tech support suggest more memory (currently we have 512MB of DDR2 533MHz with 32MB being shared for video). We don't run any other applications on this machine, and all the background processes look pretty clean. I ordered another 1GB to add into it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome Hobbles. I'm not the one to answer your questions. You work for IT and not a programmer. Makes it hard.

Matt would probably be your best bet, not sure if he's here today ????????
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by hobbles View Post
      I didn't see a FAQ anywhere, so please forgive me if these questions seem redundant if they were convered before. Last year my company purchased a CMM setup and we had a QE that was responsible for the programming and what not. Recently he left the company, and my superiors felt that since I'm in the IT department I could easily trouble shoot the issues they might run in to.

To make a long story short we are using version 3.7MR3. We had some programs for some product we ran last year (15 different part variations). When we went to run this item last week the program was not displaying the correct dimensions to be measured. This only occurred on a few of the programs, not all. The odd thing was these programs were the original copies that we had stored remotely so they could not of been altered. We have since brought in a 3rd party contractor to help us resolve these issues and program a few items for us.

Our contractor has ran into issues with a newly programmed part only running complete in online mode rather than operator mode, the CAD files keep getting corrupted when she alters the program. When I run through the same activites I don't run into any issues. The tech support suggest more memory (currently we have 512MB of DDR2 533MHz with 32MB being shared for video). We don't run any other applications on this machine, and all the background processes look pretty clean. I ordered another 1GB to add into it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      Yes you need more memory, especially if you are using CAD files. 3.7MR3 is a good stable version and the one I would recommend. If you are not, you should take pictures of setups and keep them in the same file as the program. I suspect part of your problem may be due to incorrect manual alignment hits. Please provide more information about the program not displaying the correct dimensions. I don't understand what you mean there. If possible post some of the program. I don't use operator mode, but I am sure someone else will jump in to cover that.

P.S. You might not want to advertise that you are IT around here. We will give you a chance to prove yourself to be an exception. . .
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

I'd love to call Poe on this but if it is for real (and it sounds real irony and all) I'm going to have to direct you to Matthew D Hoedeman.
        <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Well, first of all, don't listen to what others say about me and IT (there have been a few 'issues' )

Second of all, different versions can and do have different problems. I would stick with V3.7 MR3

As to other issues:

FULL ADMIN is pretty much required for the PC running Pcdmis (or you WILL run into many, many wonderful problems)

Operator mode: I have never liked it myself, fortunately, I do not have to deal with it. If you are going to be forced to deal with, you will need some help from others on this board to inform you of the quirks of it.

VIDEO: Get a [email protected] video card and put it in that machine. Do not use an on-board card, it will jsut cripple you, big time. I have NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 and it works pretty good.

RAM: Yep, get 1G minimum, 2 would be better. Don't bother going over that as windoze will not 'see' more than 3G and it will only allow a single app to use 1.8G or something like that.

Programming: Lots of people have had issues with changing nominals. One possible is FIND NOMS WHILE EXECUTING, this option will find the nearest cad nominal to satisfy the feature type from the cad data and CHANGE THE NOMINALS of that feature to what it just found. Since no CMM can hit at the EXACT micron of the 'current' nominal, your points will start to drift over time away from the original nominals.

More Programming: Other people have had changing nominals as well, but all claimed (I am NOT making any accusations) they didn't have anything 'bad' setup inthe program. Well, I have ALWAYS used a seperate alignment program (when using any holding fixtures) and a seperate check program. The check program calls up an external alignment file from the alignment program. I have never, not once, had any problems with changing nominals.

Operator: Either hire someone who knows the software or plan on sending someone (someone who knows how to use a computer, not just 'click on stuff') to B&S class. Some of the basics are pretty basic, but if you have NO ONE there who can even show them the basics, they will need the class. Then, after they get the basics down, the advanced class will be required. There is only so much info we can impart on the web, some stuff just HAS to be seen to be understood.

There is a user on this site who seems to be pretty sharp with the software who does contract in-house-training. Unfortunately, I only got about 2 hours sleep last night and I can't remember his name.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Jim Jewell is his name
            sigpic
            if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Originally posted by T Miller View Post
              Jim Jewell is his name
              Ah yes, my little chick-a-dee, a jewel-in-the-rough! (he is a bad golfer)
              sigpic
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Matt,

BE NICE.. Even though hes an IT guy, he MIGHT be ok.

Bill

Comment

Unfortunately we are forced to deal with Operator Mode. We are a smaller job shop and we have product that has to be 100% checked. Since we run 3 shifts, the CMM must be available for the offshift operators to use. I appreciate the initial input. This is a tough position for me to be in. I know just enough about GD&T to be dangerous, I'm the tech guy by trade. I apologize if any of you have had past run-ins with people in the IS/IT realm. It doesn't surprise me, I've been on both sides of the fence before and I sympathize.

I'll do some more digging regarding a few specific oddities and consult with our contractor so I can get the verbage correct. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill McCafferty View Post
                    Matt,

BE NICE.. Even though hes an IT guy, he MIGHT be ok.

Bill
                    Wasn't I nice? Did I say anything bad about IT? I don't (usually) lump birds of a feather all in the same pile, I give each dog 1 bite before I kick it's teeth in, unless, of course, it bites first......
                    sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately we are forced to deal with Operator Mode. We are a smaller job shop and we have product that has to be 100% checked. Since we run 3 shifts, the CMM must be available for the offshift operators to use. I appreciate the initial input. This is a tough position for me to be in. I know just enough about GD&T to be dangerous, I'm the tech guy by trade. I apologize if any of you have had past run-ins with people in the IS/IT realm. It doesn't surprise me, I've been on both sides of the fence before and I sympathize.

I'll do some more digging regarding a few specific oddities and consult with our contractor so I can get the verbage correct. Thanks again!
                      If you need anyone and everyone to be able to walk up and run this machine you need someone very skilled in VB to create a frontend for you. I believe Craig has done this with a fair degree of success. If your number of parts is limited you may want to hire a 3rd party to do this instead of a full time programmer. ( I too would recommend Mr. Jewel and/or cmmguy).
                      But it you go that route, you will still need at least one person in your shop who knows the basics of CMMs, and I am thinking more of hardware than software when I say this. HTH
                      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Hobbles,
                        Where are you located?
                        Kevin

Comment

Welcome aboard Hobbles. You appear to be an IT guy that we can relate to (so far). I too dislike operator mode. Would it be possible to train one or two people on the off shifts to run in the standard mode? As has been stated, you need more memory, (your computer, not you!). Jim Jewell is very good at helping in these situations. His logon here is JJewell. You can find a link to his company there.

Do you drink beer or whiskey? Mentioning that will ease the IT tensions.....
                          When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                          sigpic

Comment

Also, if running XP try running in Best Performance Mode since it uses less memory & system resources.

Comment

A couple of us in our shop spent 3 days training with Jim Jewell last week.
                              An excellent recommendation in my humble opinion.

MJB
                              Last edited by MJBolster; 05-24-2007, 12:53 PM.
                              "listening for the last trump... looking toward the eastern sky"

Comment