Quick Way to Modify Adaptive Scan Features?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Way to Modify Adaptive Scan Features?

I'm looking for a way to quickly modify the parameters of Auto Features that are using Adaptive Scanning Strategies. I have a part with over 11,000 little holes in it. They are all being measured with Auto Circles using Adaptive Scanning. One thing I'd like to do is turn off the Gaussian filter on all of them without manually clicking through the dialog boxes for each feature.

Does anyone have any tricks I haven't thought of to modify the parameters of multiple Adaptive Scan features?

Here is what I have tried so far:
    1) Find/Replace the parameter values in the edit window - Umm, Adaptive Scan parameters are not viewable in the edit window.
    2) Copy/Paste parameters - Nope, doesn't seem to work for Adaptive Scan parameters
    3) Basic Script - I can't seem to find any Command Methods or Enumeration Values that have anything to do with Adaptive Scan Parameters. Exporting the program as a Basic Script did not reveal anything. Maybe those settings are somehow hidden in a different object I wouldn't think to look at?
    4) Export as DMIS, edit in text editor, Import back to PC-DMIS - Just grasping at straws now. Does not seem to export the touch trigger parameters.

If someone can't help you with a script...be prepared to press F9 a whole bunch of times =(
    SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

• PlaidShirt
      PlaidShirt commented
      Editing a comment
      Fingers crossed.

Yeah, sometimes I'm surprised that F9 key still works on my keyboard.

Fix one feature, highlight said feature, right click, select "copy parameters", highlight features to be fixed, right click, select "paste parameters". I know this works for default measurement strategy but I'm not sure it of it's effect on adaptive scan auto features.

Make a copy of your program first to try it on so you don't possibly fudge up your good program.
    Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by A-machine-insp View Post
      Fix one feature, highlight said feature, right click, select "copy parameters", highlight features to be fixed, right click, select "paste parameters". I know this works for default measurement strategy but I'm not sure it of it's effect on adaptive scan auto features.

Make a copy of your program first to try it on so you don't possibly fudge up your good program.
      See item 2 in the OP.
      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

OUCH, that sucks.

However, most things in Pcdmis have keyboard shortcut keys. F9 for example. It might be possible to get a list of each key needed to get what you want done. Sure, you probably don't have one, but get a programmable keypad (roughly $100) and program the key sequence into that, then bang-bang-bang. I got one some time ago, can't even begin to tell you how much time it has saved me.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
          Matthew D. Hoedeman commented
          Editing a comment
          I know I get a lot of use out of it. I have a Genovation CP24 keypad, not the keyboard (the keyboards are more expensive). Nice thing about the keypad is it is small enough (about the size of the keypad area on a keyboard, front to back, not just the keys!) that you can do 'things' with it. For example, if you have a series of keystrokes all in 1 key, and those are all you need, but you need them over and over and over (like, 11,000 times!), you can easily set it to auto-repeat, then put a small clamp on it to hold it down, to goes merrily along without any operator input required!

• A-machine-insp
          A-machine-insp commented
          Editing a comment
          I have an X-Keys 24 key. Can program keystrokes and macros in it. Also, each key has 2 layers which realistically makes is 46 programmable keys with one key set to switch between layers.

https://xkeys.com/xk24.html

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
          Matthew D. Hoedeman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, same deal with the Gen keypad, 2 layer, with a limit of 220 keystrokes per (for single layer) or 110 for dual layer. My longest series is 212 keystrokes

Originally posted by Schrocknroll View Post

See item 2 in the OP.
        I specifically looked for that too! How did I miss it.
        Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• ogcharliebrown
          ogcharliebrown commented
          Editing a comment
          A-machine-insp Wait till you get older.....Way more fun......Every day is Easter. Only difference is that on Easter your looking for eggs!

Originally posted by A-machine-insp View Post

I specifically looked for that too! How did I miss it.
        Probably has something to do with you trying to increase your post count

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Ruff View Post

Probably has something to do with you trying to increase your post count
          Not at all. I don't do things like that...

Comment

• PlaidShirt
            PlaidShirt commented
            Editing a comment
            Huh. I must be doing it wrong. I have commented on many of these and I still have a post count of 1. Comments must not be part of the count? Now I'm really impressed by some of the large post counts I've seen some members have over the years I've been lurking on this forum.

Oh wait, I messed up again by not making this a separate post. Too late now.

Maybe this can assist (multicommand editor):
          ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/Utilities/CommandEditor/
          PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

• PlaidShirt
            PlaidShirt commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks vpt.se. That looks promising. I see the latest revision was dated Nov 2015, a few years after adaptive scanning was introduced. There is a chance it may help.

Unfortunately I can't get a copy of that utility past the company firewall. Perhaps I can get an exception made for that site. Looks like a wealth of useful tools.

vpt.se, That is a really cool utility. Someone put a lot of work into that. I like how it hides PD-DMIS while it is processing to speed things up. I've done that with Excel macros but haven't thought to try that in PC-DMIS.

However, it does not seem like that will edit Adaptive Scanning. Still, thanks a lot, I'm sure I'll get some use out of that utility in the future. I see that there are a couple of other utilities, completely unrelated to this topic, in there I'll have to play with.

Comment

Something else I thought to try - Export all the circles into an XYZ file, then setup a measurement strategy with the default settings I want, then Import the XYZ file into my measuring routine. That was a bust, when I imported the XYZ data it did not use the measurement strategy I had selected, it used the PC-DMIS default strategy. Ugh!

I might try to import the XYZ data as CAD and turn off all the CAD assembly elements except the circles I just imported. Then make sure I'm using the measurement strategy I need, open the auto circle dialog, select all the circles in the model and cross my fingers. Good chance that will just choke the software. I also won't have the features named the way I'd like them and the order will probably be all screwy. I'll give it some more thought. I'm busy with other projects right now so I'll have to play more with that later.

Comment

How about posting this in the idea center?? I agree that adaptive scanning parameters should be editable through the edit window. Or make it possible to get the MSE editor to be able to do it to marked features...
              sigpicTAU ALPHA PI INDIANA DELTA CHAPTER
              "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Benedictj1 View Post
                How about posting this in the idea center?? I agree that adaptive scanning parameters should be editable through the edit window. Or make it possible to get the MSE editor to be able to do it to marked features...
                Hi Benedictj1. That actually has been suggested on the IdeaCenter. It has quite a bit of traction, 15 votes!

I had already voted on this before I posted this question. I was just hoping someone had a workaround in the meantime.

I also voted for the option to use sample hits on Auto Features using adaptive scanning. I'm still quite surprised that wasn't supported in the first place.
                Actual versions ofPc-Dmis doesn't handles the Copy/Paste Parameters for automatic features with Adaptive Scanning Strategies. If the measurement routines has a high number of features, and you want to change a parameter such as point density, speed,acceleration or filtering options you have to change the holes 1 by 1 with F9 button. If the measurement routine has 5-10 holes it can be done, but if the measurement routine has a high number of holes than this is counterproductive you loose to much time changing parameters.It is not possible to cancel the features change one of themand after copy it with pattern, because you will loose any connection to constructed features or dimensions.Normal parametersfor a Ø10 mm hole are present in the window below, but this means that the measurement will be done with 188 hits. For 80 holes in a measurement routine this is time consuming.If i want to Override the Point density from 6pts/mm to 1 pts/mm i have to go 80 times F9 and change manually the option for all holes in the same pattern.

Comment

This is an obvious win for all of us...just voted on it.
                  sigpicTAU ALPHA PI INDIANA DELTA CHAPTER
                  "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by PlaidShirt View Post
                    Something else I thought to try - Export all the circles into an XYZ file, then setup a measurement strategy with the default settings I want, then Import the XYZ file into my measuring routine. That was a bust, when I imported the XYZ data it did not use the measurement strategy I had selected, it used the PC-DMIS default strategy. Ugh!

I might try to import the XYZ data as CAD and turn off all the CAD assembly elements except the circles I just imported. Then make sure I'm using the measurement strategy I need, open the auto circle dialog, select all the circles in the model and cross my fingers. Good chance that will just choke the software. I also won't have the features named the way I'd like them and the order will probably be all screwy. I'll give it some more thought. I'm busy with other projects right now so I'll have to play more with that later.
                    Never done this but think it might work. Could the circle routine be a subroutine? The XYZ IJK and diameter nominals would be variables. Feed the variables with the XYZIJK and diameter from your XYZ file. Read in your circle variables from the file, call the subroutine, rinse and repeat... Shooting from the hip here so it needs to be fleshed out more....

Comment