How to get the DIAM_2 of a Constructed Reverse Cone To Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get the DIAM_2 of a Constructed Reverse Cone To Dimension

I have a Auto Cone Measurement and have created a Reverse Cone in order to get the smaller DIAM. I can see the DIAM_2 in the Code but do not know how or unable to figure out how to extract this DIAM in order to dimension. I have attached a screen shot of the DIAM I am trying to dimension. Any help would be much appreciated. Screenshot 2021-02-12 090335.png

Could you post a scheme ?
    The min diameter that your looking for is the diameter at the highest height of the auto cone ?
    So create a circle / cone /height...

Comment

I am measuring the auto cone in the Z+ straight up and down with A0/B0. Which is the Highest height to the lowest height of the auto cone the diam of the auto cone is 13.5478 and the cone is a IN. I created the reverse cone in order to get the 12.070 diam which is the smaller diam at the bottom of the auto cone. I have tried creating a Circle/Cone/Diam of the reverse cone and entered the 12.070 in the diam box but it does not pull the correct data and only reports the number I enter in the box. I do not know what height measurement to enter for the circle/cone/height. I played around with the height numbers but nothing seems to make sense. I can see the correct actual data of the reverse cone and just am wanting to know how to extract that data in order to dimension. Attached is the Auto Cone Data Screenshot 2021-02-12 105831.png
      Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Brian

Comment

I don't understand why you need to reerse the cone...
        As I understand (on a friday evening... ), you are trying to dimension the lowest diameter of the autocone, which represents the lowest diameter of probed hits, and not the diameter of the lowest edge.

Comment

That is correct. How do I go about dimensioning this from the Auto cone?

Comment

U have to construct a circle from the cone. Is the cone attached to a plane? You can construct a circle from the cone and plane intersection and then dimension the diameter of the circle.

Comment

From the core manual :

ID=FEAT/CONTACT/CONE,CARTESIAN,IN
              THEO/ TX,TY,TZ,TI,TJ,TK,TANGLE,TLENGTH,TDIAM
              ACTL/ X,Y,Z,I,J,K,ANGLE,LENGTH,DIAM
              TARG/ targX,targY,targZ,targI,targJ,targK
              (....)

The Diameter box defines the diameter of the feature. In the case of a stud, the diameter box displays the nominal, user supplied value.
              For a cone, this value represents the nominal diameter at the end of the cone where you've defined the X,Y, and Z location.

I would try this :
              Code:
              MCON_12070A=FEAT/CONTACT/CONE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,IN
              THEO/ <0,0,-0.36>,<0,0,-1>,37.2005,2.1955,12.07
              ACTL/ X,Y,Z,I,J,K,ANGLE,LENGTH,DIAM
              TARG/ <0,0,-0.36>,<0,0,-1>

Then dimension D.
              I'm not at the cmm, if you try, check values !!!!!

Comment

You could also create a feature set with the hits of the right level.
                Then construct a BF circle on it, and also a plane.
                The plane will give you an idea of the "flatness" of the COP, which explain why the roundness of the circle is bad (that's why I wrote "#d" on the picture !!!!!)
                Then, you can create a adjusted filter / cone with the cone and the feature set, which allow projecting hits on the same plane to construct the circle.
                diam cone.JPG

Comment

acgarcia , this is a workable solution and I was able to get the correct info to dimension from this method. Thank you

JEFMAN, I never thought to adjust the Auto cone in order to get the dimension I was after. This worked other than I did not change the vector of the cone as I was measuring in the same vector. The last method you were so kind to give me was something I did not test out but is a great tip that will be useful in the future.

Thanks Gents for the help.

Regards,

Brian

Comment

Although Jefman has given a solution I am sure others are confused as to how useful this diameter result is. The usual practice is to report a diameter on the cone at a set height or report a height at a set diameter.

Reporting the hit diameter will not be at the programmed height unless the cone is at perfect size and angle, can you upload a sketch of the drawing callout or explain how this diameter result is to be used. Cone hit vectors.png Cone hit vectors.png

Comment

Understand what you are saying. It is a straight ID measurement of the cone. My thought after the solutions recommended was to use the plane and the cone creating a intersect circle would give me the most accurate dimension for this. Do you think this is not a useful method or accurate way to dimension this. The angle of the cone is a reference dimension on the print. Attached is snip of the dimension callout on the print. Thanks for the concern and please share if you feel that there is a more repeatable/accurate way to get this dimension.

Regards,

Brian

Attached Files

Comment

• UKCMM
                        UKCMM commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Would go with measure plane and cone then construct the diameter for the most accurate and repeatable results. If the part cannot be orientated to access both cone and plane then you could try placing the part on parallels or blocks locating on the plane and take a plane on them to simulate the face.

• JEFMAN
                        JEFMAN commented
                        Editing a comment
                        what UKCMM said... !