Z axis excess lag error - any tips on how to fix this issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z axis excess lag error - any tips on how to fix this issue?

Hello, I'm getting this issue when i boot up my machine

Brown and Sharpe 9-15-9

"Z axis excess lag error"

I've rebooted the machine several times, when i try to home the machine, this error pops up

Any tips?

Thanks
    Chris

Clean it, it is hanging on something
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      Clean it, it is hanging on something
      I cleaned it, restarted it, there doesn't appear to be anything stuck or blocking it

Comment

This error means that the CMM was moving in the Z axis and lost it's position so it alarms out because it doesn't know where it is and is protecting itself from a crash. This usually means that a scale is dirty, an encoder that reads the scale is malfunctioning, or you have a mechanical issue like leaking air pressure or a damaged bearing way.

1) Turn machine off. Controller, CPU, everything.
        2) Clean scales with lint free rag and 70% or better alcohol
        3) Turn machine back on
        4) If machine is air driven, verify that air pressure is correct and that there are no leaking lines.
        5) Ensure that probe module is screwed in correctly and isn't damaged and all is functioning properly regarding that system
        6) Verify that there are no environmental factors that are causing the machine to alarm out (excess floor vibration is a usual culprit if you're on the shop floor)
        7) Attempt to re-home the machine

If you still have an issue after the above its probably time for a service call.
        SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

Originally posted by DAN_M View Post
          This error means that the CMM was moving in the Z axis and lost it's position so it alarms out because it doesn't know where it is and is protecting itself from a crash. This usually means that a scale is dirty, an encoder that reads the scale is malfunctioning, or you have a mechanical issue like leaking air pressure or a damaged bearing way.

1) Turn machine off. Controller, CPU, everything.
          2) Clean scales with lint free rag and 70% or better alcohol
          3) Turn machine back on
          4) If machine is air driven, verify that air pressure is correct and that there are no leaking lines.
          5) Ensure that probe module is screwed in correctly and isn't damaged and all is functioning properly regarding that system
          6) Verify that there are no environmental factors that are causing the machine to alarm out (excess floor vibration is a usual culprit if you're on the shop floor)
          7) Attempt to re-home the machine

If you still have an issue after the above its probably time for a service call.
          thank you so much for the info, I'm going to run through these steps and I'll let you know how it turns out

Comment

Also check the air filters/drier on the incoming air used to pressurize the air bearings. Look at the clear air lines on the machine itself and make sure they are not yellow. Discolored air lines means dirty air.
            Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

Could there be an issue with the Kevlar belt?

Comment

Maybe you have a problem with the constant.dat (old controllers like B3CLC).
                An autotune test should be usefull (call Hex tech...)

The firmware has detected that the position error (real axis position with respect to the position set)
                has exceeded the maximum limit allowed. It may be due to a motor overload owing to obstacles to
                motion (collision, friction), a motor failure, a failure of the motion mechanical system, of the
                servodriver, of the position transducers or of the tacho. Lastly, in case of a first connection of the
                controller to a machine, it may also be a wrong servo adjustment or the parameter MAX_LAG of the
                CONSTANT has a small value.

Comment