Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collision detection acting really slow, not sure why

PCD CAD 2020 R2 Sp5

My graphics window slows down and pretty much locks up when I try to use "Collision Detection".

I get the path lines on my screen, no issues. When I run "Collision Detection" itself, the probe moves REALLY slow in my graphics display window almost to the point that this part of the software's functionality is now unusable to me.

I have tried changing animation speed in the F5 menu, it doesn't help.

Note:
    I can execute the program offline or online, works AND LOOKS fine. Changing speed in the F5 menu DOES effect the offline motion as it should, but has no effect on the collision detection speed.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Here is my "opengl" stuff, honestly I have no idea what any of this means.

picgrp.JPG

Thanks in advance,
    -Dan
    Last edited by DAN_M; 02-10-2021, 04:18 PM.
    SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Are you doing any scanning? My collision detection used to run extremely slow while scanning, because it was placing the simulated head at every single point in the scan. If you turn up "Scan Animate every NPts collision detection" under Setup Options/Animation to 10 or so it helps a good bit. I still usually just go do something else while I'm waiting for it, though.

Comment

IMHO, Dan.... your quadro is gargantuan opposed to my popgun M2000 quadro on my laptop, but I've never had sluggishness with collision detect.
      mbatten makes a good suggestion - to only animate every 10th, maybe even every 50th point.
      My collision detect problems are none, but I don't have scans with bazillions points. How about you? Tons of hits? Or it just came up now in 2020 R2 sp5?
      And lastly, your OpenGL settings are benign. Antialiasing is set low, no high qual transparency on and tesselation is @ 1. Your GFX card should be cruising thru.
      Wish I had better help

Comment

Originally posted by mbatten View Post
        Are you doing any scanning? My collision detection used to run extremely slow while scanning, because it was placing the simulated head at every single point in the scan. If you turn up "Scan Animate every NPts collision detection" under Setup Options/Animation to 10 or so it helps a good bit. I still usually just go do something else while I'm waiting for it, though.
        I don't have scanning. This is a program with simple pnts and circles and cylinders and planes. No looping, thing fancy at all. =/ This collision detection isse is occuring on all of my programs, not just this one.

Can you please share a screenshot of the settings in your animations tab? This is what mine looks like. I have no idea if these are the right settings or not, have never really messed with this stuff.

picgrp.JPG
        SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

Hey Dan, try this setting....(as opposed to yours) good luck!

danANI.png seaANI.png

Comment

I just set everything to 100
            Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Hmmm collision detection acting really slow...you must have that Chiefs O-line setting turned on

Comment

You can turn the graphic display window off when using collision detection and it will still work. you wont get to watch it go around but usually it is so fast you cant see what it is doing anyways.
                This should speed it up some.

Comment

DAN_M Did you resolve this or does it still exist? I have tried the settings you have it is working as expected. How big is the program, ~500 features for example. It is odd the F5 animation speed does change anything. If I drag the slider to 1%. Collision detection does slow down.

Comment

Originally posted by rjurca View Post
                    DAN_M Did you resolve this or does it still exist? I have tried the settings you have it is working as expected. How big is the program, ~500 features for example. It is odd the F5 animation speed does change anything. If I drag the slider to 1%. Collision detection does slow down.
                    The issue still exists.

I placed a help desk ticket. Hexagon remoted into my computer via teamviewer and confirmed that PC DMIS has an issue with collision detection when a programmer uses TTP measurement strategy for an autofeature. When the software gets to the TTP features in the edit window when doing collision detection, it slows right down and messes everything up.

The animation slider works fine. I never said anything about that my friend.

The tech said that he was aware of this/knew what it was the moment he saw it. He also said that he personally filed an internal ticket at Hexagon, that the developers are aware of the issue. He said he'll "poke them again" about it and that hopefully the issue gets addressed in 2021.1 because this is a core function of the software.

Am in the process of changing a bunch of programs right now. This really sucks.
                    Last edited by DAN_M; 02-17-2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• Peter Fuller
                      Peter Fuller commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Does the autofeature in question use void detection?

Peter Fuller Nope, no void detection. If you'd like to take a look, I'd be happy to share the prg with you.

Comment

• neil.challinor
                      neil.challinor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      DAN_M I have a developer working on a fix for this now. The problem appears to be caused by the TTP strategy not using the animation speed when offline. Can you PM me your email so I can send you a link to upload your program? That way we can test on a "real life" case rather than trying to simulate what you're seeing on the hexblock.

neil.challinor I can no longer send PMs. It says that I have used up all of available topics and I have to delete some and I have never been able to figure out how to fix this =/

Is your email neil.challinor at hex dotcom ? If so I can shoot you an email that you can reply to with the link.
                    Last edited by DAN_M; 02-17-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Dan, we are currently working on improvements for this and have made some considerable gains already. You were kind enough to share your routine for testing purposes. The .cad file is an assembly made up of several components, a probe rack and a large fixture plate. What I discovered during testing was that if I deleted or hid the fixture plate it sped up the collision detection considerably. This is probably due to the size of the plate and the number of bolt holes it contains. This may be a good option for you, I noticed with the fixture plate visible it took 30 seconds to take each hit as opposed to 1 sec per hit with it hidden.

We are, of course continuing to identify as many ways to make improvements as we can and hope to get our fixes into the first service pack of 2021.1.

Neil Challinor
                    PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
                    E: [email protected]

Comment