Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building & Calibrating Knuckle Probes

Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a knuckle to use in a probe to reach a spot that's a little too narrow for a star probe. Has anyone had experience with these before?

I don't want to pay upwards of $100 for a knuckle just to find out it can't be built up & calibrated since the stylus isn't in a fixed position.

Hi ajlee7

I have made some funky knuckle probes and have used them successfully.

Keys to your success:

1) The probe you build must conform to the length and weight limitations that your hardware can handle (you haven't shared with us what you have)
    2) Correctly define your knuckle probe to the software (I assume you'll do this correctly)
    3) Qualify the tip. You may need to use custom start/end angles for your qualification. You might even need to use a special sphere to qualify this tip. IDK what you're trying to do or trying to measure.
    SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

DAN_M I'm working with an HP-S-X1H and don't plan on going anywhere near my max allowed length (225mm). The weight issue I hadn't thought of though. They don't list weight in the specs so it's something I'll have to request before purchasing.

The knuckles listed in the probe builder are a little different from the one I'm looking to purchase so that was may main concern. The ones in the probe builder only has a A axis rotation where as the one I want allows for A & B rotation.

Glad to hear you've had success with them though, I'll go ahead and push through with trying to get one.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ajlee7 View Post
        DAN_M I'm working with an HP-S-X1H and don't plan on going anywhere near my max allowed length (225mm). The weight issue I hadn't thought of though. They don't list weight in the specs so it's something I'll have to request before purchasing.

The knuckles listed in the probe builder are a little different from the one I'm looking to purchase so that was may main concern. The ones in the probe builder only has a A axis rotation where as the one I want allows for A & B rotation.

Glad to hear you've had success with them though, I'll go ahead and push through with trying to get one.

Thanks!
        If you see something you need for your project but it isn't in PCD's probe builder list...you'll need to make tip as a custom probe and then save it to your probefile list. One you successfully do this, the equipment will then be accessible in the PC DMIS dropdown list on probebuilder.

Hexagon does sell plenty of equipment that you won't be able to find in that dropdown list.

I have no idea how to create the file itself...but have needed this done in the past. Since I have a valid SMA Hexagon created the files for me and showed me what to do with it over teamviewer. There are people on the forum who know how to do this as well that I am sure would help if we need to go that route.
        Last edited by DAN_M; 02-10-2021, 11:08 AM.
        SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

Hopefully it lets me attach this file...

Someone posted this on the forum a looong time ago, I'm pretty sure it came from Hexagon, and it explains how to create a custom probe.

HTH
          Attached Files

Comment