Versions Measuring Different Values!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versions Measuring Different Values!!!

I took a part and a fixture and measured it with 4.2 and then with 4.1 - and guess what?! Drastically different measurements!!!!!! Over .015 thousandths different!! WHAT IS GOING ON? HAS ANYONE TIRED MEASURING THE SAME PART WITH TWO DIFFERNT VERSIONS AS A REPEATABLILTY TEST? I AM STUNNED...ANYONE ELSE TRIED THIS? I FOLLOWED THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. COPIED ALL THE FILES THAT IT SAID TO COPY OVER TO THE NEW VERSION. WHAT'S THE DEAL????????
    sigpic
    Cold Beer MMMmmmm........

Dell Precision T5400
    Windows 7
    B&S XCEL
    WENZEL LH1512
    PCDMIS 2011 MR1

I assume you are running the same program on both versions?

Comment

What exactly are you using? Auto-Point, Auto-Circle? etc etc...
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

What size tip. I would guess probe compensation and or failure to calibrate probe properly in one of the programs. Did you measure in 4.1 first then 4.2?
        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

I did this check twice just to make sure I wasn't missing something like a probe calibration or something simple like that. I recalibrated in both versions prior to running the programs for sure. I did not update my probe to version 4.2 I held back to 4.1. This should have made no difference for things like auto vector points and auto circles. The programs have nothing more complex than that. (This also helped reveal my .DLL load problem from earlier. "I believe it did anyway.")
          sigpic

Dell Precision T5400
          Windows 7
          B&S XCEL
          WENZEL LH1512
          PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

Originally posted by rerun_lives View Post
            I did this check twice just to make sure I wasn't missing something like a probe calibration or something simple like that. I recalibrated in both versions prior to running the programs for sure. I did not update my probe to version 4.2 I held back to 4.1. This should have made no difference for things like auto vector points and auto circles. The programs have nothing more complex than that. (This also helped reveal my .DLL load problem from earlier. "I believe it did anyway.")
            Could it be something similar to what this thread is talking about?

Snap turning on?

Comment

I would check to see if the probe settings are the same. Touch speed, force, etc.
              I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
              PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

I took a part and a fixture and measured it with 4.2 and then with 4.1 - and guess what?! Drastically different measurements!!!!!! Over .015 thousandths different!! WHAT IS GOING ON? HAS ANYONE TIRED MEASURING THE SAME PART WITH TWO DIFFERNT VERSIONS AS A REPEATABLILTY TEST? I AM STUNNED...ANYONE ELSE TRIED THIS? I FOLLOWED THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. COPIED ALL THE FILES THAT IT SAID TO COPY OVER TO THE NEW VERSION. WHAT'S THE DEAL????????
                Which install instructions did you follow? These?

http://cmmprogrammer.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=101
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I followed the instructions from the siite where I got my download but I used the same exact methodology in the post you listed. For the very same reasons you list in the post. I repeat: Has anyone taken a part and a program for said part and done an analysis of your measurements and compared the readings between programs. Let me hear Ya'...
                  sigpic

Dell Precision T5400
                  Windows 7
                  B&S XCEL
                  WENZEL LH1512
                  PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

I followed the instructions from the siite where I got my download but I used the same exact methodology in the post you listed. For the very same reasons you list in the post. I repeat: Has anyone taken a part and a program for said part and done an analysis of your measurements and compared the readings between programs. Let me hear Ya'...
                    Well, yes, I did. I did it when I installed V3.5 and found the readins VASTLY different. BIG TIME. But, the problem was that B&S/Wilcox/Hexagon changed the way Pcdmis 'saw' or 'used' the vol-comp file and when you installed V3.5, IT DIDN'T TURN ON THE VOL-COMP. No warning, no documentation with the install disk, NOTHING what-so-ever about requiring the OPERATOR to turn on the vol-comp. AND, I might add, this is on a B&S Validator with a B&S Sharpe32 controller running B&S software (Pcdmis) and the install (over-the-top of a working version) didn't turn on teh vol-comp (table map, whatever you want to call it).

Now, that being said, lets try this:

1) Open the old version of the software (the one YOU know is correct to the machine calibration) and go to EDIT ~ PREFERENCES ~ MACHINE INTERFACE SETUP.
                    2) Look at the tab for RESOLUTION (if there is one, if not, this won't help)
                    3) Look at the values entered for each of the axis (XY&Z)
                    4) Write them down
                    5) Close and open the new version
                    6) Go to the same place, look at the numbers
                    7) If the numbers in the new version are NOT the same as the old, change them to match

This should get your measurement to match. The RESOLUTION is a feature on SOME controllers that allow the calibration tech to adjust the linear calibration of the machine without the need of re-lasering the machine. They should ONLY be adjusted at the time of calibration and they can ONLY help if your machine is linear but off (IE, 0.000", 4.002", 8.004", 12.006", 16.008" and on up, changing the resolution will bring these back to all zeros, if done correctly.)
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by AndersI
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I can't do it 4.1. I don't have it on my machine any more. I am doing some work on a snap point issue in 3.7mr3. I will report a few points and see what the difference is from 3.7 to 4.2 and report my findings. Best I can do.
                      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Thanks Matt! I'll give that a shot later today (if I can get to it). I'll let you know the outcome.
                        sigpic

Dell Precision T5400
                        Windows 7
                        B&S XCEL
                        WENZEL LH1512
                        PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment