Report printing out colors incorrectly intermittently.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAN_M
    commented on 's reply
    Good idea, that solve your issue

• ctw00
    commented on 's reply
    I'm going to have to go with Option A. I found out today that it has happened to other people (who aren't using PC-DMIS).

I will likely add a line somewhere at the top of the report that says Pass or Fail based on the number of deviations and look for that as well as any red lines.

• DAN_M
    commented on 's reply
    Yup! Been there and done this before with printer companies.

You have two choices really...

A) Know you have an issue, live with the 99.97%, and tell your people they'll have to...*dundundun*...READ WHAT THE REPORT SAYS!!! >:-O !!!!...

B) Give the printer to another department that does less critical work, cut your losses, buy a different printer for the CMM.
    Last edited by DAN_M; 01-14-2021, 12:06 PM.

• ctw00
    commented on 's reply
    I know that it has happened on ~60 pages out of the 196,500 pages through this printer. I'm not sure how far I'll get telling them it prints correctly 99.97% of the time. They would likely credit us for the $.90 worth of printing and call it a day.

• DAN_M
    commented on 's reply
    I'm like 99.5% sure you've already proven your point unless I'm missing something here lol

The software works (PCD), you've confirmed with industry professionals you're using it correctly, and you have tangible evidence (printer copies that are black) of failure.

I'd be on them like buzzards on a s#!+ wagon until they did the right thing.

If there's nothing "wrong" mechanically but it still does this then its simply a POS and they've got you by the balls with the lease, I'd eat the loss and go get a new printer and let someone else in the company use this one. Sometimes its better to take the black eye and move on.

• ctw00
    commented on 's reply
    I think we have another few years on this lease. If I could prove that is a printer issue I could get the leasing company to fix it.

• ctw00
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't see a draft mode in the settings, there is a 'toner save' setting, but that's been unchecked. There really are only two of us using the machine and the times that I know it has happened have been when I was checking parts.

• DAN_M
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like your printer is a POS i'd get a new one

• ctw00
    replied
    Yeah its a really weird problem. Every once in a while a machinist will point out that the line that should be red is black (it might be 1 line on 6 pages that are all good) and when I re-print the report it comes out red as expected..

Leave a comment:

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
    replied
    is it possible someone told it to use DRAFT mode?

Leave a comment:

• DAN_M
    replied
    ctw00 very odd! All I can say is that I also "Use Text Mode Dimension Reporting", have done so for years, have never had an issue. Sorry =/

Leave a comment:

• ctw00
    replied
    Originally posted by DAN_M View Post
    Dumb question, not trying to make a joke, did your printer have ink this entire time?

I wouldn't put it past someone at my company to let the color ink run out, print off a bunch of reports, change the ink after realizing what was happening, and not own up to it (all the while sending the programmer...me/you... on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what went wrong).
    Its not a dumb question. It is a color laser printer that uses C,M,Y,K toner and I am one of a few users who has the ability to print in color. In order to print red you need both yellow and magenta, so it would have to run out of both of those, and the result would be a blank line. What we are seeing is pure black on the line that should be red. We do replace the black toner every few months and I can't remember running out of the color toner.

I'm trying to find the cause and I keep coming back to PC-DMIS or something with this PC. This isn't the first printer to do this (the printer is leased and was changed out for a different make and model a few years ago), it did happen rarely with the last printer, and has happened a few times, rarely, with this one..

Leave a comment:

• DAN_M
    commented on 's reply
    Have you tried turning your IT person off and then back on again?

• KIRBSTER269
    commented on 's reply
    actually most, not saying all, but most IT guys that I have worked with would do this on purpose, Like trying to get every ounce of toothpaste out of that tube, "Keep squeezing, there's still a little left"

• DAN_M
    replied
    Dumb question, not trying to make a joke, did your printer have ink this entire time?

I wouldn't put it past someone at my company to let the color ink run out, print off a bunch of reports, change the ink after realizing what was happening, and not own up to it (all the while sending the programmer...me/you... on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what went wrong).

Leave a comment: