Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runout of a plane_Using Legacy

Solved-->

Print was changed from circular runout to total-runout.

Never got a straight answer as to why PCD wouldn't do circ runout of a pln in legacy...I definitely understand what people (specifically kirby) was saying about a pln being 3d and circular runout being 2d... but you CAN measure circ runout on a plate with an indicator so i was surprised that the software wouldn't let me duplicate this w/o having to do a workaround. Oh well, thanks for all who offered input
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Original Post-->

PC DMIS 2020 R2 SP4

I use legacy dimensions.

I have measured a plane. My print requires I report the runout of that plane back to some datums.

I click "runout", then realize PC DMIS doesn't show me any planes in the box, it only allows me to pick from circles, cylinders, and lines in my prg. I have to switch out of legacy and into xact (or whatever tis called now) and only from in there can I select the plane I want.

Why won't it let me dimension the runout of a plane using legacy dimensions? IK its called circular runout but it is very well established in the industry to measure the circular runout of a planar surface on a surface plate (with the corrct fixturing & using your indicator correctly), why wouldn't PCD allow for this?
    Last edited by DAN_M; 01-12-2021, 03:28 PM.
    Beep beep beep..

Did you try total Runout? I don't know cause the machine is busy, but runout is technically 2D. I'm surprised it will let you pick cylinders, I haven't used legacy for years.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• DAN_M
      DAN_M commented
      Editing a comment
      No. Customer wants circular-runout, will bounce it back if I do total.

• DAN_M
      DAN_M commented
      Editing a comment
      You can absolutely measure this via plate layout, circular OR total runout, IDK why the software won't let me do it. =(

What sort of plane are you using?

Is it a circular/radial auto plane?
    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• DAN_M
      DAN_M commented
      Editing a comment
      autoplane, centered around my origin at 0,0,0 with clean vectors 0,0,1, radial and yes circular hit path

Well like I said Runout is 2D and a plane is a 3D feature, really surprised it will let you pick a Cylinder, If you were using an indicator on the Lathe, a Runout callout is technically telling you you can't move your indicator around, so you would be checking somewhat a line in a circular rotation. so I get why it won't let you. That's why I believe it has to be a total.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)

Comment

As a workaround, after your alignment, just take points in a circular pattern and report the difference between the high and low points? "Should" give the same answers.

Comment

V3.7 lets me do runout of a plane, but there is no circular runout that I can see offered.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

So Danny boy, what's the verdict?

Comment

• DAN_M
            DAN_M commented
            Editing a comment
            updating now, am all set as of a few mins ago. thanks kirby