Barrel Probe Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Probe Pin

I was wondering if someone could inform me on how to calibrate a barrel Probe Pin. I am hazy on what to do when it says to take a hit normal to it. I checked the shank qualification box under the measure screen and I still don’t trust my results. I am running 3.5.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does the end of the styli have a radius on it, or is it flat?
    Kevin

Comment

Radius. The barrel is 2mm I believe.

Comment

Did you enter an offset distance for the shank qualification? If so your results should be ok. My suggestion would be to perform the shank qualification and measure features on your part that you can verify with another method and compare results between the two methods.

I never use shank probes unless absolutly necessary. Unless your surfaces are perpendicular to the probe you will not get accurate results.

What are you measuring with it?
        Kevin

Comment

I am trying to measure some diameters on a pinion carrier. We pierce these holes, and sometimes we don't get a clean cut band all the way thru. So i was wondering how the TP would come out with the diameters taken with a shank.

Comment

Don't use the barrel probe, use a ball probe with surface sample hits and adjust the depth of the touches to hit on the 'cut' area of the hole.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              Don't use the barrel probe, use a ball probe with surface sample hits and adjust the depth of the touches to hit on the 'cut' area of the hole.
              What Matt said!!!!
              Kevin

Comment

OK. That is what I was doing. I was just trying to see what the results would come out like.
                But if I were trying to calibrate the barrel probe, How would I accomplish that?
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MFCguy View Post
                  I was wondering if someone could inform me on how to calibrate a barrel Probe Pin. I am hazy on what to do when it says to take a hit normal to it. I checked the shank qualification box under the measure screen and I still don’t trust my results. I am running 3.5.
                  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  Yep- just click that feature and spec the length of the shank side of your probe and it is supposed to work...

If you measure on the ball edge you're good (usually), but I don't usually see the shank qualification get all that close (enough). I'm guessing that somewhere in the computations there is a cosine kicked out from my machine's physical alignment which isn't compensated for. Add that to the probe shape and the results aren't encouraging. Note- I'm referring to size measurements...wonder how center location might/might not repeat?

Much better to rely on the ball if possible if your tolerances are anywhere near tight.

Comment