Big program writing crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big program writing crash

I have had this issue for a bit but I haven't had many big programs to write lately so I disregarded it (my mistake) but I have quite a few big parts coming up on my programming schedule.

I have a program I am writing that I am half way done with. This program is MBD, will have about 35 composite true positions, 10 profiles, 4500 +/- 500 points (got to have a tolerance ), 100 +/-10 circles and an equate alignment. I have 2500 points and all the circles programmed. Datums A-B-C are taken before the equate alignment/part flip so I am dimensioning those features before the part flip so they can be reviewed before running the 2nd half. I am using GeoTol for all the GD&T and the more I make, the slower DMIS runs and starts crashing. I was programming this with the 2021.1 technical preview and decided to switch back to 2020 R2 and I am having the same issue. Thankfully we are not busy at the moment so it isn't bothering me too much at the moment but it is an issue that is happening. Any idea why this is happening and what myself or my IT department can do that can help?

Computer info (BAD A** computer)
    Processor: Intel Xeon W-2265 3500Mhz clocked at 4388Mhz and water cooled
    GPU: Nvidia Quadro RTX4000 clocked at 300Mhz with up to date firmware and running dual monitors (I believe the GPU is water cooled as well but not 100% sure)
    RAM: 8X Samsung 16GB DDR4 RAM
    Hard drive: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB (working on getting a second one installed)
    The OpenGL settings are set to the RTX 4000 GPU.
    Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was taken from me on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

I would get more RAM, The more scans you do, the more memory it takes, The one thing you can do is use your SSD and dedicate it to being RAM.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Ssd-As-RAM
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRBSTER269 View Post
      I would get more RAM, The more scans you do, the more memory it takes, The one thing you can do is use your SSD and dedicate it to being RAM.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Ssd-As-RAM
      Just made the change and restarted the computer. Ill report back in a bit.
      Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was taken from me on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

One other thing, find out the speed that your RAM is rated for and go to Task Manager under performance and check the speed of your RAM, You might have to go into your BIOs and overclock it, for Max speed, I had to do this.

Capture.JPG
        (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)

Comment

KIRBSTER269 Setting the computer to use the SSD as RAM has helped quite a bit. I will have IT look into overclocking the RAM.

Comment

Just an update, I was fiddling with overclocking my memory and mine is rated at a speed of 3200 MHz, as seen above and I was trying different settings and this was as high as I could go, when I tried anything above this speed it became unstable so 3666 MHz was as high as I could go in BIOS and let me tell you, it makes a difference. My computer went from super fast to Extremely fast.

Capture.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by KIRBSTER269 View Post
              Just an update, I was fiddling with overclocking my memory and mine is rated at a speed of 3200 MHz, as seen above and I was trying different settings and this was as high as I could go, when I tried anything above this speed it became unstable so 3666 MHz was as high as I could go in BIOS and let me tell you, it makes a difference. My computer went from super fast to Extremely fast.

Capture.JPG
              I just emailed the IT guy that does all the work on my computer. Hopefully I can get this thing to LUDACRIS SPEED! (Spaceballs reference)

Comment

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
                Matthew D. Hoedeman commented
                Editing a comment
                A circle, or a slot, are single features that are also made up of individual points. Circles/slots as well as scans are represented (or can be represented) in the edit window as a single feature (hide hits). The main issue I'm trying to point out (in this case) is that the feature LABELS are all BMPS (not JPGS) and BMPS eat up a lot of graphic memory. ONE feature label for a scan or 800 feature labels for individual points, each with a BMP LABEL, which eats more memory?

• KIRBSTER269
                KIRBSTER269 commented
                Editing a comment
                Matthew D. Hoedeman ahhhh, gotcha ya, I notice this in the graphics screen also, well not so much anymore with this PC, but when you make a scan, and create it, and the more scans you added and showing in your graphics, The..... more......skippy ,,,,,,it ......was......to ......turn ......the model, but you Hide All Features, It was back to somewhat smooth. That's why I dig into these computers BIOs, graphics card, RAM, etc. Because by experience with different companies, I wasn't so lucky as I am now, When the boss hands me a credit card and says "build it right, don't worry about the price." Most of the time it was "Make it work that's all we got"

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
                Matthew D. Hoedeman commented
                Editing a comment
                with this XP box, I imported almost an entire pickup truck frame (we were building all the tools) so I could see what was actually mating (crappy GD&T, cust said 'figure it out'), and it was a very large CAD file (huge in fact), and without any features in the file, I could spin the graphics like a dreidel (solid view). It's those pesky BMPS that fudge up the graphics views. Sad thing is, they have been BMPS from day one, and apparently none of their coders know how to make them JPGS instead.

And Yes, This does have everything to do with PC-DMIS, for those who were wondering, These Key settings will help with some of the Performance of Running and Programming the Demon.

Comment

KIRBSTER269 Does this all look ok???

TEMP.png

Comment

• A-machine-insp
                  A-machine-insp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  KIRBSTER269 all in F°. What can I say, I make my computer work.

• KIRBSTER269
                  KIRBSTER269 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does your Computer look like a little fireplace with that GPU reading 927 Degrees?

• A-machine-insp
                  A-machine-insp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  KIRBSTER269 Yep! Nice and toasty in my corner of the office.