CMM not stoping when letting go of the joysitck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMM not stoping when letting go of the joysitck

My machine has an issue that may be normal but I have not seen it. When moving at a higher speed and I let go of the controller the machine will still move about 2-3MM. It happens more in the z axies. If I run it slow it tends to not do it as much but can at times do it enough to take a point.

In all fairness this is a 20 plus year old machine that has not been calibrated or serviced in 4 years. I have had to do a lot of work on it just to get it to run(filters, solenoids, regulators, new head, z axis belt, few other things) they promise it is in the budget this year for service and calibration but...……...

My question has anyone seen this issue? If so what did you do to fix it?

Been a long time, but I believe if you hold all the direction buttons down at once for, I don't remember 5 seconds until every other light on your speed control lights up, this will fix the travel, maybe try that or someone will correct me.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      let us know whether it works or not

• browningdmis
      browningdmis commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope it did not seam to help any. Guess its something I just have to learn to deal with.

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, that's all I got

I have seen this before on a super old LK bridge machine. But from my understanding the reason it continued to move is the overhead bridge was so heavy because it was made of solid granite. Probably 10'x2'x2' of solid granite moving on top of the machine. I dont know if that is the case in your situation but it never caused any issues for us

Comment

2-3mm? Is that all? I have a 30+ year old Validator that is so heavy that if I am moving at max speed (which really isn't that much!) it will coast a couple inches. Machine weight & drive system will determine stopping distance. To move 1800mm, it takes it 11 seconds (163mm/second), that is all-out max speed.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• browningdmis
        browningdmis commented
        Editing a comment
        Its lot when the part I am measuring is only a few MM. I never run full speed. I do understand what your saying. Neve had this happen with newer machines.

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
        Matthew D. Hoedeman commented
        Editing a comment
        newer machines have MUCH superior drive systems. My big Global (only a few years old) can stop on a dime. That old Validator.... use either a TP2 or TP20, with it in SLOW MODE, if you have your probe at A0B0 and touch straight down on the table (remember, in SLOW mode) and touch 'fast' (SLOW MODE!) it will over-travel the TP2/TP20 and unseat the head due to the drive system not being able to 'stop on a dime'.