how to dimension this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to dimension this

im in the middle of running this part and this box is not coming out properly. it seems to need another feature to constrain it. datum A is the surface plane and datum B is a hole at the other end of the part. im pretty sure its telling me i use this datum as the alignment but like i said it wont work in pc-dmis.
    anyone know whats up?

Capture.PNG
    Attached Files

You shouldn't need more datums. Can you show more info about datum A and B? maybe sketch it on a piece of paper so you can show us

Comment

• Darrollh
      Darrollh commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you using Legacy or Xact Measure?

It is a width feature? Planar tolerance zone? they have diametric tolerance zone shown
    sigpicTAU ALPHA PI INDIANA DELTA CHAPTER
    "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

Untitled.png

Comment

featurebox.PNG

Comment

Imagine 2 pins placed perfectly in the correct positions smallest as possibly given, with the feature, Datum-D, getting Max Material, biggest hole it can possibly have given the tolerance provided, and Datum-B with Max Material, It's allowed to rotate ever so slightly about B and move left to right with wiggle, in the directions as shown. If you constrain it with a rotation, then it would only be able to wiggle left to right. So when you report the position, be sure to exclude the Diameter Symbol, and report the right direction.

Capture.JPG
          (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
          They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

A B and D have similar vector directions, thats a problem
            sigpicTAU ALPHA PI INDIANA DELTA CHAPTER
            "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

I've tried all the different planar zone orientations and i cant get it to work.

Comment

Create a line from B to D, create an alignment rotating the line, in the Nominals Tab at the top, in there you'll see Datum Feature Control, click on the arrow and choose Current Alignment Then choose the correct planar direction. also are you using 3D features, or 2D Example circle as to a Cylinder?, or constructed width as to a mid line? How about you post some of your code. so we can see.

Oh and in that alignment Level A and Origin it, Origin B, X, and Y, and rotate that line
                Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 12-28-2020, 04:45 PM.
                (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
                They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Its realisticialy a straight line distance. Alignment of 2 dowel pin holes. The alignment above is right but will that work in EXACT without using the other DATUM to control the rotation ?

Comment

If using Legacy....

Create alignment ABD-->
                    Level to -A-
                    Rotate -B- to -D-
                    -B- is X&Y origin
                    -D- is Z origin

Report T.P. of -D- back to "ALI_ABD".

If using Xact...

Create alignment ABD-->
                    Level to -A-
                    Rotate -B- to -D-
                    -B- is X&Y origin
                    -D- is Z origin
                    Create Datum reference frame as shown. Select current alignment instead of the DRF. Apply & OK.
                    SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment