Alignment rotation between 4 surface points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment rotation between 4 surface points

I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this question before I ask it, but this is what I've been left with.

I've got a part with a shape similar to this illustration. What's a good way to handle rotation between those four Datum 2 points?

The scenario is that I've been given no other option and I've tried to insist that this isn't how rotation works.

As always, thanks in advance.
    alignmenthow.png

Do an iterative alignment. It will work like a dream.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

The 4 "Datum 2" points can also be used to create 2 mid points, which can then be rotated to (or constructed as a line and rotated to).

Best fit would work well.

Iterative would be my go to normally.
      "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

Currently, that was my unspoken compromise, Vinni.

I wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something simpler, or better before plowing forward.

I'm sure someone is going to argue if I tell them anything is out of specification and I don't like to leave 'well maybe it's the alignment' wiggle room for them to argue and waste time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Iterative rotating to all 4 points are giving me a 'Reached Maximum Iterations: Points still exceed tolerance value.' however. I've got Target Rad set to 0.5 and Fixture Tol set to 0.2

I'll switch back to 2 mid points.

Comment

• VinniUSMC
          VinniUSMC commented
          Editing a comment
          MUlissi Also, I would point out too that if the datum structure is 1|2|3, then 2 is rotation and translation up/down (in the top view), and 3 is only let/right translation.

If it is 1|3|2, then 3 is translation in both, and datum 2 is only rotation.

What VinniUSMC said.

Or you could do a two lines (that are pointing in the same direction) and then do a midline.

Comment

• VinniUSMC
          VinniUSMC commented
          Editing a comment
          In a perfect world, that would be ok, but this is PC-DMIS., so I would recommend against this.

• LaserJay
          LaserJay commented
          Editing a comment
          I use it all the time with no issue, but I am pretty OCD with my alignments so usually my points will be in the exact same location on both sides of the part