Text as dimensional result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text as dimensional result

Very oddball question but, if it's possible, it would serve a purpose for me.

What I have is a big part that has cutouts for electrical sockets. One big hole for the electrical plug and 4 bolt holes around the big hole. In our AS9102 program, the print is coded non-numeric (pass/fail) of the socket cutouts while holes are actually dimensioned numerically elsewhere on the print and in the spec.

Here is an example of what I'm looking for. DIM 1 is calling out the cutout type and is non-numeric (again pass/fail), DIM 2 is the true position of the cutout, and DIM 3,4,5, and 6 are straight line dimensions locating the bolt holes around the socket. Is there a way for me to dimension something as DIM 1 to where if DIM 2-6 are all good, the dimensional result for DIM 1 would be PASS and if one of them are bad it would be FAIL?

Our reports get exported as an excel spreadsheet so I would need the result for DIM 1 to show PASS so it would be imported into out AS9102 program as such.

The reason this question is coming up is there are a lot of these cutouts on this part and the dimensions controlling bolt holes all go to the same DIM numbers in the spec sheet so if one is out, and I can get the PASS/FAIL to work, it would make it much easier for the operator to identify exactly which socket is having the issue because the sockets are identified separately on the print.

Hope my example isn't too confusing...

Edit to add... PASS/FAIL would have to have to be reported as a dimensional result, not a coment. Our AS9102 program does not read the comments only dimensional results.
    Last edited by A-machine-insp; 12-22-2020, 11:57 AM.
    Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Why not have Excel do this instead of PC-DMIS? Don't output anything to the results cell for DIM1 in Excel and insert something like

=if(and(B2<=C2,B3<=C3,B4<=C4),PASS,FAIL)

where column B contains meas values and column C contains theo values.

This will make it so that if the measured values are less than the theo values for all dims in the AND( statement, the cell will display PASS and if one or more fail, it will say FAIL

Comment

• A-machine-insp
      A-machine-insp commented
      Editing a comment
      Because we use the excel tab in DMIS to print it, we are not using a custom spreadsheet to print to. The operator would have to edit the spreadsheet to add it and that would take longer than doing it the way we are now.

• Mike Ruff
      Mike Ruff commented
      Editing a comment
      Aahhh that makes sense. Well that was my only idea Hopefully someone else has another way

Maybe a 1 for pass and 0 for fail?
    sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

• A-machine-insp
      A-machine-insp commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe but I would need to get the dimensional result to actually read as PASS or FAIL.

I think you can conditional format Excel to do this. I have a sheet that hides text if the result is = 0 or even tag my bubble number with a suffix and it populates the GDT symbol in the adjacent cell

Comment

• A-machine-insp
      A-machine-insp commented
      Editing a comment
      The problem is that DMIS is creating a new spreadsheet every time so any formatting I do would never be seen since it is always a new one.

I haven't experimented with making a new template, but you might format the first report and APPEND the results instead of overwrite.

Comment

I've done something similar to this before where I put a script after the print command to execute a macro inside excel to perform conditional formatting. I don't know how to do it 100% inside pc-dmis, but this workaround works. You could also write a script to directly modify the excel file as well after the print command.

HTH

Comment

If you are using the Excel Form Report, use the Out of tolerance field for the out of tolerance results. Then you can use conditional functions in Excel template to output the required text info.

Example: N5 cell will contain the out of tolerance value. If the cell value is greeter or less than 0 the condition is TRUE and will display FAIL.

Using IF function
        IF(SUM(N5<>0),"FAIL",IF(SUM(N5=0),"PASS",))

Using IF and OR function
        IF(OR(N5<>0),"FAIL","PASS")

You can change the cell font color to Red and the FAIL font color will be red when the condition is TRUE.
        Using IF and OR function
        IF(OR(N48<>0),"FAIL","")

AS9102 Example 2020-12-26 154011.png

Another method is to use Custom Formatting
        Right mouse click a cell and select Format cell... .
        Select the Numbers tab.
        Under Category select Custom.
        Under Type enter "FAIL "#.0000;"FAIL "(#.0000);"PASS"; and select OK.

Example: The cell value is the Out of Tolerance results
        PASS ..............cell = 0
        FAIL (.0010) ....cell = -.0010
        FAIL .0120 ......cell = .0120
        PASS ..............cell = 0

You can add the color format
        [Color]"Text "#Positive Number;[Color]"Text "(#Negative Number);[Color]"Text";

[Red]"FAIL "#.0000;[Red]"FAIL "(#.0000);[Green]"Pass";

[Red]"FAIL "#0.0000;[Red]"FAIL "(#0.0000);[Green]"Pass";

support.microsoft.com
        Review guidelines for customizing a number format
        https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-9c9354dd99f5
        Last edited by davehocum; 12-27-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment