Alignment Plane Construction (Tooling Blocks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment Plane Construction (Tooling Blocks)

I have a rectangular fixture with 4 corner alignment blocks. The fixture is engraved with the coordinates for the outermost corner of each block. For each block I create a measured plane by taking 3 hits on top of the block. I then create a line on each of the outer sides of the block and intersect those lines. Next, I project the intersected point to the plane creating a projection point which represents the engraved coordinate location (outermost block corner). I do this for all four blocks and then create a best fit least squares plane from the 4 corner points. My constructed plane is within .003 MM of nominal. After creating the alignment and go back and take a confirmation point on top of each block I see as much as .2 MM deviation from nominal. As I stated I am creating a best fit plane but I expected to see the top of each block closer to nominal. Do you see any issues with the way I have gone about creating the alignment? Any observations or recommendations here would be appreciated.

Try using Best Fit Recomp and see what your numbers look like.
    Darroll
    2018R2

Comment

Originally posted by Darrollh View Post
      I appreciate, tried it but still seeing the .2 MM deviation.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrollh View Post
        I don't think you can recompensate constructed points.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Use DCC features, CORNER, and type in the XYZIJK for each corner. Then use an iterative alignment.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Has the fixture been calibrated? Are you sure that your measurements aren't correct?
            PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

3 Points fro a plane = a perfect plane solution nothing is perfect check intersection lines and points and see where error is. I would add a point to all planes and verify each plane and intersection for deviation from nominal and try to find the measurement error How perfect are engraved coordinate numbers?

Comment

Try projecting your lines to the plane then create an intersection point.

Comment