datum centerline of part or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• datum centerline of part or not

So the engineer says that the datum is actually the plane is on the side of the part. I say that per the drawing the datum is the center of the part. Whats your thoughts?

Untitled.png

Per ASME, the datum feature is the width and the datum is the center plane because the datum feature symbol is inline with the size dimension.

Comment

• browningdmis
      browningdmis commented
      Editing a comment
      That was what I told him.

• vpt.se
      vpt.se commented
      Editing a comment
      ISO states the same. Your engineer is wrong.

Center of the part because the datum designator is inline with the dimension. Anywhere else on the dimension line the engineer would be correct.

Comment

Show him this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7d25bveuw...atums.png?dl=0

Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• browningdmis
        browningdmis commented
        Editing a comment
        that's perfect

If your drawing is to be interpreted per Y14.5, then your engineer has incorrectly articulated their intent.

As currently drawn (regardless of what they want to understand or not), the datum feature is the center plane created from the width.

The datum callout must be moved from being "in line with the dimension" in order to be interpreted differently.
      Last edited by DAN_M; 12-17-2020, 09:34 AM.
      SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

Oh my goodness, it can't be..... the engineer can't be wrong!!!?!?!? But seriously, he or she is wrong, Tell them to go back to the corner and watch their p_o_r_n, and don't ever, ever try to think again.

what-the-duh.jpg
        (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
        They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment