Gd&t question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gd&t question

Am I correct that if a Datum is on the leader line for tp of a 4 hole bolt pattern then the Datum would be a constructed circle from all 4 of those holes? Even though the leader line is only pointing to one of the 4 holes?

Attached Files

Comment

I would assume that it is the pattern.

That doesn't mean that it is a circle constructed from the 4. It means that the datum is 4 features. 4 features like that can constrain rotation about the axis, as well as translation perp to axis. Unlike a circle.

Remember to think about what it means for functional gaging, that is what GD&T represents. For your datum, you would have 4 pins all at the nominal location.

So, to use as a datum with legacy dimensions, you would level and origin to the plane (assuming datum A is the normal plane to the holes), and then best fit 2D to the 4 holes.

With Xact, apparently you can select all 4 holes and construct a feature set from them, and then define that feature set as the datum, and then use it in the FCF (at least, for newer versions of PC-DMIS).
      "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

Thanks Vinni!

Comment

• Schlag
          Schlag commented
          Editing a comment
          The 4X tells you its the pattern and not a " hole " .