Decimal places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decimal places

So my machine is set up to report 3 decimal places. However I have a drawing that only requires 1. I can not find how to change that???

F5 setting, dimension tab, lower left of the menu OR type displayprecision/1 at the beginning of your program

Comment

• browningdmis
      browningdmis commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you that did it!!

Does the drawing actually state only measure/report to 1 decimal place as have never seen that on any drawing in over 40 years.

Comment

• browningdmis
      browningdmis commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it does. In fact most of our drawings mix 1 and 2 place decimal places.

Originally posted by UKCMM View Post
    Does the drawing actually state only measure/report to 1 decimal place as have never seen that on any drawing in over 40 years.
    I had one last week. tolerance was ±.030in I was shocked!

uPdAtE: I missread the comment. Yeah, reporting to specific decimal places on the face of a drawing... that I've never seen, but I have seen plenty of callouts with one decimal place, which I later realized this comment did not mention.
    Last edited by Kp61dude!; 12-11-2020, 02:08 PM.
    PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
    Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

Dimension with tolerance " ±.030in " seems to me like with more than 1 decimal place.
      Last edited by Darius11; 12-08-2020, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• Kp61dude!
        Kp61dude! commented
        Editing a comment
        My fist machine shop the 'norm' was .X±.010, .XX±.005, .XXX±.001. That has been my fav machine shop I've ever worked at.

I would imagine, especially since it was .XXX before, that it's in MM. That would be increments of about .004" with 1 decimal place.
      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• Darius11
        Darius11 commented
        Editing a comment
        1 decimal place as 0.0000 ( like0.0040) or 0.0?
        Usually decimal place mean the position of a digit to the right of a decimal point or as example 0.0

• browningdmis
        browningdmis commented
        Editing a comment
        Darius the call out is 13.1 +.1 -0 They want the report to show 13.1 not 13.12.

• Darius11
        Darius11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, in comment of Kp61dude! there was statement " I had one last week. tolerance was ±.030in I shocked too!". I assumed that on drawing of Kp61dude! it is something like this: 0.0±.030 and that's usually mean output at least with 3 digits. That is where my comment came from.
        I see in my work even 0 decimal places drawing dimensions but then general tolerance like +/-0.010 (like 5+/-0.010) and that's mean 3 decimal places.
        in a case of browningdmis if "the call out is 13.1 +.1 -0" correct, output could be with 1 decimal place. Also need bear in the mind that as in browningdmis case minimum requirement is 1 digit and if output will be as example with 4 digits, and customer will reject CMM report because of 4 digits it will be unusual.
        I did have battles in my carrier about digits. If customer requirement was as example 13.1 +0.1/-0 I did report exactly 1 digit but it was not because of customer but because production/quality managers. By quality manager we have been asked to rise non conformance if dimension was out of tolerance but if actual dimension was as example 13.095 production manager refused accept it as non conformance. So I did use 1 digit and if was out of requirement we did rise non conformance.

dimensions rounded to 1 place on a print does not mean you only report to 1 place. USUALLY that is done to control tolerances in a block on the print

X.X=+/-0.010"
      X.XX=+/-0.005"
      X.XXX=+/-0.002"
      and so on.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• browningdmis
        browningdmis commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. However in this case they want it reported to only 1 place. 13.1 measures 13.154 they want it reported as 13.1 no rounding.

• acgarcia
        acgarcia commented
        Editing a comment
        I think depending on what the CMM actually measured, it will round to you nearest decimal place. If 13.1 is your max and the CMM measures 13.154, it will round it to 13.2. tread carefully

That report wouldn't give good feedback to manufacturing for adjustment for sure..

Comment

• browningdmis
        browningdmis commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think they really care in this case.

• Schlag
        Schlag commented
        Editing a comment
        The rounding that you will deal with a .X decimal..... They may not care but you may want to look like the smart one and point out that. If it goes the other way, they are still looking at you for the failure. Reporting to the customer has no relevance to how you need to report it at manufacturing level.