In Need of Linear Scan Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Need of Linear Scan Advice

What are some good guidelines to follow when using linear scans? I scanned a rounded slot using a closed linear scan. I used Probe Comp and CAD Comp with a Sphere boundary the size of my probe. When I created the lines and circles from it the measurements looked way wrong and the scan was getting weird at the end of it. It wouldn't follow the curve of the radius, it would try to go straight. I turned off CAD Comp and changed to a plane boundary. The CAD Comp fixed the measurement readings and the plane boundary fixed the scan path. But the nominals of the constructing lines were way off. I checked the measured distance between the lines and they measured just fine. I have a HP-S-X1 scanning head. Are these the proper execution settings I should be using for linear scans? Am I constructing my features from scanned data properly?
    Attached Files
    I'm programming on a Global S 15.30.10 with a HP-S-X1H Scanning Probe, and using 2020 R2.

I always check Best Fit also I am not sure what you have in Your Settings Tab, But I use Probe size 1mm and above I set my Offset force to .120 N. If my Probe is smaller .090 N or maybe less depends on the Probe. This is the pressure it applies to what your checking. The Speed, well depends what your checking, if you have a big ol hole, 5" for example, turn the speed up, if it's a 1/4 hole slow it down. I myself set the tolerance to what I'm checking, If the profile callout is .010, that's what I set it to. under the Find Nominals. my example is .005

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 12-04-2020, 02:29 PM.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

The CMM 202 course booklet recommends an offset force of .06N for my particular controller and probe head so that's what I've been using. What does checking BestFit do differently?
      I'm programming on a Global S 15.30.10 with a HP-S-X1H Scanning Probe, and using 2020 R2.

Comment

If your Scan is Complex. Maybe sharp corners, smaller radii then your probe, or whatever the case maybe. It will consider the hits taken and form a best fit. That's why sometimes when you start out with lets a scan is 1034 hits, and it ends up being something like 1024, I don't know just guessing, it is considering everything it touches to the perfect Part (CAD Model) and will it fit in it. That boundary you give it.. That's why I put it .120 N. That's about the highest pressure you can go, without the machine stopping or crashing. light pressure may let it skip or not touch the part for a second or 2. This actually occurs when I go around a sharp corner, But then it eliminates that error when complete. The RED and the YELLOW is dirt, Part was not cleaned before I ran it.

Capture.JPG
        Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 12-04-2020, 04:10 PM.
        (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)

Comment

I guess the pressure depends on your situation. How your holding it?, Is the pressure going to move the part? I'm lucky enough to have those air suction cups to hold my parts. They ain't moving.

Capture.JPG

Comment

• S_Cliff
            S_Cliff commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I definitely don't have anything like that. I have tension clamps or I C-clamp to an angle plate. The particular part I'm working on, the setup is very precarious. Because of the GD&T callouts, it's the only way I can reach to measure everything required haha.

Just wanted to follow up on this. The 3 corner scans I did was with a .7 mm probe, The 2 corners that look good was set @ .075 N. The bad looking one was set @.090 N, showing that it was to much pressure so that when it went around that corner, the probe kinda acted like a rubberband, leaving an ugly scan, So Settings can very part to part depending on the situation.

Capture.JPG

Comment

Plane boundary
            sigpicTAU ALPHA PI INDIANA DELTA CHAPTER
            "Due to the highly confidential nature of my job, I am not allowed to know what I am doing" - author unknown

Comment

widgetinstance 190 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X