Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent Printing of Offline Reports on CMM

Good Morning,

Is there a way to prevent operators from accidentally printing an offline report on a CMM? Maybe something with system time? I think an operator accidentally opened another instance of pcdmis and ran a program offline on a CMM which reported perfect dimensions with 0.0000 deviation for each feature. Highly suspicious.....
    Last edited by acgarcia; 12-02-2020, 10:03 AM.

maybe I need to time the actual program say 5 minutes and have a assignment for start sytemtime and end systemtime. If the difference of time is less than 4mins, do not print?

Comment

Is the program written with code to print the report upon completion?
      Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• A-machine-insp
        A-machine-insp commented
        Editing a comment
        acgarcia Then I would do an IF/GOTO using the execution time. If it is too short, it skips the print command then brings up an operator comment saying "YOU ARE OFFLINE IDIOT. OPEN ONLINE AND TRY AGAIN." or something to that effect.

• acgarcia
        acgarcia commented
        Editing a comment
        I know I can use systemtime but how do I use that against a value like 5 minutes ? I see you can get systemtime at the beginning of a prog and systemtime at the end of a prog and use an assignment to subtract ending minus starting for total time.

• A-machine-insp
        A-machine-insp commented
        Editing a comment
        acgarcia There is a runtime command as well. I don't have my DMIS bible handy at the moment but I have used it before to report runtime. Since it can be reported, you can use it as a variable and use it to direct flow control. Let me finish what I am working on and I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: DAN_M has it below. ASSIGN/RUNTIME=GETPROGRAMINFO("ELAPSEDTIME")
        Using that you can do a IF/GOTO to flow the program to or around the print command depending on the time. You can also use it to direct it to or around a comment like I put in my original comment. Might want to word your comment differently than I depending on the tolerance (sensitivity) of your coworkers...
        Last edited by A-machine-insp; 12-15-2020, 01:32 PM.

You could put a YESNO comment before printing

Code:
      [B]PRINT[/B] =COMMENT/[B]YESNO[/B],NO,FULL SCREEN=YES,AUTO-CONTINUE=NO,
      Print report?
      [B]IF_GOTO/PRINT.INPUT=="NO",GOTO = NOPRINT[/B]
      PRINT/REPORT,EXEC MODE=END,$
      TO_FILE=OFF,AUTO=1,AUTO OPEN=OFF,$
      TO_PRINTER=OFF,COPIES=1,$
      TO_DMIS_REPORT=OFF,FILE_OPTION=INDEX,FILENAME=,$
      REPORT_THEORETICALS=NONE,REPORT_FEATURE_WITH_DIMEN SIONS=NO,$
      TO_EXCEL=ON,PROMPT,AUTO OPEN=OFF,$
      PREVIOUS_RUNS=DELETE_INSTANCES
      [B]NOPRINT[/B] =LABEL/

Comment

• acgarcia
        acgarcia commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks for the input but sorry, no questions. Everything is automatic, operators place part in fixture, select program, click execute and walk away. Reports are printed automatically and then the next part is loaded.

Something like this

Code:
      ASSIGN/RUNTIME=GETPROGRAMINFO("ELAPSEDTIME")
      IF_GOTO/RUNTIME<1,GOTO = LABEL_SKIP_PRINT_COMMANDS
      TO_EXCEL=OFF,$
      LABEL_SKIP_PRINT_COMMANDS=LABEL/
      Never done this before, not sure if the "1" would be 1 day, minute, or second...hopefully someone else can chime in..but this should get you going in the right direction

May have to do some formatting but I believe this can be done.
      Last edited by DAN_M; 12-02-2020, 11:24 AM.
      SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

How about pick a few dimensions and if they all equal 0 then skip the print command.

TESTCIR1 =FEAT/CONTACT/CIRCLE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,IN,LEAST_SQR
        THEO/<0,0,0>,<0,0,1>,5
        ACTL/<0,0,0>,<0,0,1>,5
        TARG/<0,0,0>,<0,0,1>
        START ANG=0,END ANG=360
        ANGLE VEC=<1,0,0>
        DIRECTION=CCW
        SHOW FEATURE PARAMETERS=NO
        SHOW CONTACT PARAMETERS=NO
        DIM DIMTEST= LOCATION OF CIRCLE TESTCIR1 UNITS=IN ,$
        GRAPH=OFF TEXT=OFF MULT=10.00 OUTPUT=BOTH HALF ANGLE=NO
        AX NOMINAL MEAS +TOL -TOL DEV OUTTOL
        X 0.0000 0.0000 0.0100 0.0100 0.0000 0.0000 ----#----
        D 0.1969 0.1969 0.0100 0.0100 0.0000 0.0000 ----#----
        END OF DIMENSION DIMTEST
        IF_GOTO/DIMTEST.D.DEV==0 AND DIMTEST.X.DEV==0,GOTO = L1
        TO_EXCEL=ON,PROMPT,AUTO OPEN=OFF,$
        L1 =LABEL/

Comment

• LaserJay
          LaserJay commented
          Editing a comment
          I would do more than one dimension because it is possible for something to measure 0 but it is really unlikely for multiple things to check 0
          I don't know the stats on it but I am sure 3 things checking 0 deviation is probably close to statistically impossible

Also make sure to use AND not OR in the IF_GOTO

By the time you add all that code to all your programs I would consider operator mode. The moment you go thru all your programs to avoid this issue you will find another issue and another that you are trying to fix or situation that you need to avoid.... Lock em down and save the headache. Not trying to poo poo the great fixes above that will work, but they are bandaids. Of course Im looking like an idiot here if you can open more than 1 program in operator mode but I don't think you can.......
        Last edited by Schlag; 12-02-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schlag View Post
          By the time you add all that code to all your programs I would consider operator mode. The moment you go thru all your programs to avoid this issue you will find another issue and another that you are trying to fix or situation that you need to avoid.... Lock em down and save the headache.
          Schlag
          Agreed, Especially if you are running parts that are just place and run.

Comment

Schlag LaserJay, i run them in protected mode. I don't think I have operator mode icons on my desktops.

Comment

• Schlag
              Schlag commented
              Editing a comment
              You need to have marked sets in the program. Because i got home from a 4 day hunting trip and was in bed at 430 and slept till 630 this morning I am tired and crabby and i just gotta ask........ What does having an ICON on your desktop have to do with anything ? If you had an ICON on the desktop for everyhintg your computer could do you could never function or find anything.....???

What’s stopping operators from closing operator mode pcdmis and opening programmer pcdmis and running the same program?

Comment

• gt143744
              gt143744 commented
              Editing a comment
              Operator mode is password protected. If you don't have the password you can't get out of operator mode. Very handy if you don't have operators you can trust with programming mode. Can't make any changes to anything, only button available is the play button.

Or just use Hexagons Inspect. I have used Inspect since version 2.5. The current version is 4.2.

Quote from Hexagon:
            Inspect is a operator user interface allowing selection and execution of PC-DMIS measurements routines on the shop floor.

Feature and Benefits

It’s Free
            INSPECT software is free for new and existing users of PC-DMIS 2017 R1 and up. It is included with the PC-DMIS installer so there’s nothing more to getting started other than launching the software and following the easy-to-customise interface.

It’s Easy
            INSPECT is a deliberately easy-to-use inspection tool. It has only three functions: Measure, Report, and an optional Slideshow. Simply point the Measure tab to the PC-DMIS Measurement Routine folder (wherever PC-DMIS programs are located) and the Report tab to wherever PC-DMIS Inspection Reports are stored, and you’re set.

It’s Scalable
            INSPECT is as simple as you want and as involved as you need it to be. With the optional Slideshow tab, you can create real-time graphical reporting to help operators immediately realise and resolve manufacturing defects as well as reduce cycle rework times.

It Works
            INSPECT offers a modern Single Touch Interface for Shop-Floor CMMs for anyone needing to protect measurement routine integrity while simplifying access and execution.

Inspect link:
            https://www.hexagonmi.com/en-US/prod...c-dmis/inspect

Last edited by davehocum; 12-02-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Schlag
              Schlag commented
              Editing a comment
              Isn't this an ADD ON for additional $$ ?

• davehocum
              davehocum commented
              Editing a comment
              The Slideshow you need a current SMA and Pallet execution and Image Reader EYE-D are ADD ON's.

Operator mode and protected mode are 2 different things right? I lock down all my CMMs with a password so no one is able to edit any programs, just run. If I unlock pcdmis I can do whatever I want then lock it down when I'm done. We both access pcdmis with the same icon. Thats password protected.

Operator mode is different interface like pre Hexagon Inspect right? I think our first CMM came with a separate icon just for operator mode but I might have deleted it.

Comment

• Schlag
              Schlag commented
              Editing a comment
              They are 2 different things. Very similar , yet different. Its still there........ ICONs don't mean anything... ITs been around since the beginning ??? If your already in protected mode.... 1 thing about that is you can make changes it just doesnt "SAVE" anything. I tried that 1 time. Wanna crash a machine " HARD " ? We had a old XCEL and a B&S ONE MACHINE that had same probe head so we shared the same CMM prg between CMM's. Brought in prg from Network and it was ran on Larger machine previously. Did manual alignment on the small shop floor CMM and then ran the prg. All good. Close program, walk away , make CNC adjustments, put new part on CMM. SKIP manual alignment since we use a subplaat and rayco fixturing the part is always close enough for simple DCC align..... Except, when we had closed prg the MANUAL Alignment wasnt actualy " saved " and the cmm proceeded to try and ram the head thru the table because it had so much more Z travel and it was using machine cooridinates from larger CMM... IT was ugly.
              Last edited by Schlag; 12-02-2020, 03:17 PM.

• CodeWarrior
              CodeWarrior commented
              Editing a comment
              Operator mode is a "dumbed down" look of PC-DMIS Online. It automatically shows the "Marked Sets" window and has a few toolbar buttons. Both Inpect and Operator mode are free options that I've used and work great for what you're describing

Sorry, I thought the operator mode was a different/separate icon than the programmer mode. something like C:\PCDMISW\PCDLRN.exe /o. I went to my first CMM version 2016 and there are 2 identical icons for pcdmis, one says operator and the other says online. Both open my password protected version of pcdmis.

My machines have different versions and I don't think inspect is on all of them, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. I think it might have come free in 2019.

I think we are drifting from my OP. Can the operator open 2 instances of pcdmis in operator mode meaning the second instance is offline?

Comment

• R2ah1ze1l
              R2ah1ze1l commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, an operator can open more than 1 program at a time. Yes, anything other than the 1st program opened will execute in an offline fashion. (Unless the 1st program was opened with the 'offline' selection, then the 2nd program will be the live one.)
              As far as preventing the report from printing, it appears the time check is the most reliable.

We save all reports electronically, in pdf format. File name is constructed based on operator inputs with variables in a report path for the part being run. Have been driving paperless or print on demand versus auto print for some time. Folders are protected so an operator can not delete and data in report path gives us time lot and part serial number from input fields. Report has identifier for which CMM, operator in addition to all file naming data. All of this is also saved in csv files with measured data for historical review.

Comment

• acgarcia
              acgarcia commented
              Editing a comment
              I print PDFs automatically as well however their print location is based if the part passes or fails inspection. Only operator input is the scan the parts serial number. In my case I think an operator accidentally opened another program over an already open program creating an offline instance. Clicked go and walked away noticing the probe not moving. Even though it’s offline the a report still printed to the passing location. I’m trying to figure out how to prevent a second offline instance from printing using pcdmis to control it.

You could insert a comment; something like this:
            Code:
            PRINT =COMMENT/INPUT,NO,FULL SCREEN=NO,
            Do You want to print the report?
            0 = No
            1 = Yes
            ASSIGN/PRT_REPORT=PRINT.INPUT
            Then at the end, just prior to the print command:
            Code:
             IF/PRT_REPORT == 1
            TO_FILE=ON,PROMPT,AUTO OPEN=ON,$