Profile Tolerance on new 2020 R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Tolerance on new 2020 R2

I am having trouble understanding the new callout on 2020 R2. I tried reading the help file about it. I cannot understand how the new tolerance works. If I have a surface profile of 0.2 |A|. It just shows the plus 0.2 instead of the 0.1/-0.1. How is it calculating now? Is it the same as before? I have to explain this to my bosses before I can use R2 but I have no idea how or understand if its the same or not. Any help with be awesome. Thanks.

I would try to explain but JacobCheverie will probably do better.

Comment

MelissaM10 , the latest revision of the ASME Y14.5 standard changed how profile is evaluated. This change can also be applied retrospectively back as far as the 2009 version of Y14.5

The easiest way to explain it is to say that it is now the same as ISO profile where the measured value is double the largest deviation. If you look at the max and min values for the profile you should be able to see this. The important thing to stress to your boss is that even though the method of evaluation has changed and it gives a different measured value than previously, the tolerance zone - and therefore conformance - is the same. Rob Jensen and I talked about this in detail during our presentation "GD&T Standards – What's Changing, Why and How to Deal With It (ASME Y14.5 and Y14.5.1)" which can be found here https://www.hexagonmi.com/about-us/e...o-deal-with-it
      Last edited by neil.challinor; 12-01-2020, 08:01 AM.
      Neil Challinor
      PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
      E: [email protected]

Comment

Thank you that video really helped!

Comment