surface profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surface profile

How come when I dimension the 0.010 surface profile of the cone to datum EF its give me 3 separate results Individually? datum E is a cylinder and datum F is a plane. See attached sketch
    Attached Files

If you want to use Legacy dimensions as shown, you need to create an alignment to datums E and F. Then create your profile dimension and select Item#11 only.

As a side note, I would recommend not using # or any other symbols in your feature names as this can introduce a lot of problems. Feature names should be letters, numbers, and underscores only

Comment

In addition to what Mike said about the alignment, use Form and Location to check the profile to datums. Then use Form only for the .003 profile below with no datums.
      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

For FORM ONLY, use VECTOR MIN/MAX ? I think that's the ASME Y14.5 compliant fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrocknroll View Post
          In addition to what Mike said about the alignment, use Form and Location to check the profile to datums. Then use Form only for the .003 profile below with no datums.
          when I use LEAST_SQR for Best fit options I get bad results
          when I use VECT_LST_SQR for Best fit options I get good results........so which options do I use?

Comment

• Schlag
            Schlag commented
            Editing a comment
            VECTOR MIN MAX is the ASMEy14.5 compliant

Are -E- and -F- perpendicular?
          Beep beep beep..

Comment

Originally posted by DAN_M View Post
            Are -E- and -F- perpendicular?
            I am getting the perpendicularity out. -E- is a threaded hole and i have a hard time measuring it. hate it when they use threaded holes for datums.

Comment

-E- is a threaded hole?! AWWWW that blows.

So, literally interpreted, you should be LEVELING to -E-, XY origin to -E- and Z origin to -F-. Then, for the top of the frame, recall this alignment then report the surface profile as ±0.005. For the bottom, do a form only w/in 0.010.

Unfortunately, -E- is a threaded hole. Which is a PITA and will induce error into your measurement. Can you reach out to the designers or speak to your engineers and see fi you can level through -F- instead? You can measure a threaded hole with pitch and get a repeatable position if the crest is small or large enough..but you'll usually have crappy form and that will certainly throw off your measurement if leveled through a screw
              Beep beep beep..

Comment