Discrepancy between "Distance to Target" and Report's Measured value.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrepancy between "Distance to Target" and Report's Measured value.

Howdy folks, here with another question.

I have a busy part that I've been trying to pass, but I've run into a rather infuriating issue. I have some screengrabs to illustrate. I'm using a Romer Infinite 2.0 with PCDMIS 2019 R1 if that helps.

The Distance to Target probe coordinate readout is right on where I want to hit. However, when I take the hit, refresh the report, and look at what the report's measured value is, the two numbers are rather different. Different enough for the FCF to come out of tolerance. I've verified that the callout in XactMeasure is relative to the current alignment, not the Datum reference. I have tried deleting the feature (CirB12) and re-hitting to see if that helped, and it was the same deal. The strange part is, there's a whole pattern of smaller holes on the same plane that report accurate/good position. The only holes affected by this issue are CirB12 and CirB13.

Anyhow, here are those screengrabs I mentioned. Photo 1 is the Distance to Target window with my probe sitting in CirB12. Photo 2 is the report window looking at the FCF for the holes in question. Circled are the Z values for CirB12.

Thanks for your time.
    Attached Files

Can you post the code ?

Comment

• jeregonn
      jeregonn commented
      Editing a comment
      The program is quite busy, so I'll post the snippet for the holes in question.

I apologize for the formatting.

Code:
    CIRB12 =FEAT/CONTACT/CIRCLE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,IN,LEAST_SQR
    THEO/<0.55,0,5.271>,<0,1,0>,0.192
    ACTL/<0.5574,-0.003,5.2711>,<0.0008025,-0.9999996,-0.0003303>,0.2076
    TARG/<0.55,0,5.271>,<0,1,0>
    START ANG=0,END ANG=360
    ANGLE VEC=<1,0,0>
    DIRECTION=CCW
    SHOW FEATURE PARAMETERS=NO
    SHOW CONTACT PARAMETERS=NO
    CIRB13 =FEAT/CONTACT/CIRCLE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,IN,LEAST_SQR
    THEO/<2.77,0,7.131>,<0,-1,0>,0.192
    ACTL/<2.7739,-0.0018,7.1244>,<0.0008025,-0.9999996,-0.0003303>,0.1648
    TARG/<2.77,0,7.131>,<0,-1,0>
    START ANG=0,END ANG=360
    ANGLE VEC=<1,0,0>
    DIRECTION=CCW
    SHOW FEATURE PARAMETERS=NO
    SHOW CONTACT PARAMETERS=NO
    FCFLOC9 =POSITION : CIRB12,CIRB13
    FEATCTRLFRAME/SHOWNOMS=NO,SHOWPARAMS=YES,SHOWEXPANDED=YES,
    CADGRAPH=BOTH,REPORTGRAPH=OFF,TEXT=OFFMULT=10.00,A RROWDENSITY=100,OUTPUT=BOTH,UNITS=IN,
    COMPOSITE=NO,FIT TO DATUMS=YES,DEV PERPEN CENTERLINE=ON,OUTPUT ALIGNMENT=Current Alignment
    CUSTOMIZED DRF=NO
    STANDARDTYPE=ASME_Y14_5
    SIZE TOLERANCES/2DIAMETER,0.189,0.003,0
    PRIMARY DIMENSION/POSITION,DIAMETER,0.02,<MC>,B,C,E
    SECONDARY DIMENSION/,<tol>,<MC>,<dat>,<dat>,<dat>
    NOTE/FCFLOC9
    FEATURES/CIRB12,CIRB13,,
    FCFLOC10 =POSITION : CIRB12,CIRB13
    FEATCTRLFRAME/SHOWNOMS=NO,SHOWPARAMS=YES,SHOWEXPANDED=YES,
    CADGRAPH=OFF,REPORTGRAPH=OFF,TEXT=OFFMULT=10.00,AR ROWDENSITY=100,OUTPUT=BOTH,UNITS=IN,
    COMPOSITE=NO,FIT TO DATUMS=YES,DEV PERPEN CENTERLINE=ON,OUTPUT ALIGNMENT=Current Alignment
    CUSTOMIZED DRF=NO
    STANDARDTYPE=ASME_Y14_5
    SIZE TOLERANCES/2DIAMETER,0.189,0.003,0
    PRIMARY DIMENSION/POSITION,DIAMETER,0.003,MMC,B,<dat>,<dat>
    SECONDARY DIMENSION/,<tol>,<MC>,<dat>,<dat>,<dat>
    NOTE/FCFLOC10
    FEATURES/CIRB12,CIRB13,,
    Last edited by jeregonn; 11-20-2020, 10:05 AM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

How many hits / circle ?
      What probe diameter ?
      What circularity ?

Comment

• jeregonn
        jeregonn commented
        Editing a comment
        One hit with a 6mm probe. Circularity is true to the eye, I've deburred the holes to ensure the probe sits well. I was thinking about this last night/this morning and I'm leaning towards the issue being some weirdness with the callout and the plane which I've hit for said callout. There are other datum planes that I've defined as tertiary for this callout, just experimenting, and it passes. Say if I defined the callout as B|C|A as A and E are c̶o̶p̶l̶a̶n̶a̶r̶ parallel, the callout will pass. Having the callout as B|C|E results in the problem I've described above.

Perhaps it's a problem with my alignment. As if I need to redefine my alignment for these holes to be leveled to plane E instead of A.
        Last edited by jeregonn; 11-20-2020, 01:20 PM.

Bumping this because this problem's happening again with a wholly different program. Alignment is sharing the same XYZ origin as the datum reference. Probe readouts are right where they need to be, the visualization of the circle that's been hit is lying right where it should be on the CAD. Measured value on the report is 20-30 thou from where the hit was taken.

Are there any clues as to why this is happening? Will post code if it's needed.

EDIT: I determined the problem from earlier in this thread was due to the B|C|E callout and Plane E being a little shorter than nominal. That problem was solved. I would like to clarify that this is a different program/part and the position callouts are to A|B|C, which my alignment is true to.
      Last edited by jeregonn; Yesterday, 12:28 PM.

Comment