Demon Possessed CMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon Possessed CMM

Not Really, but it has been acting strange the last couple of days.

A couple of days ago, I started noticing the lights on our 7-10-7SF CMM flickering off and they would come back on a few minutes later. The CMM stayed on and functioned like normal, so I didn't put too much thought into it. I just thought that it was strange that the light bars were going on and off at random.

Yesterday, I was working on a program late in the day, and had an errant touch with the probe. it was my fault. I fat-fingered the calculator, when trying to figure out the height of a line. I had the touch point set about 0.120" lower than it was supposed to be, and the prehit didn't take up for it. I did a restart on the machine, like normal, and because of the late hour, decided to head out for the day and finish it this morning. This morning, when I cut the power on to the controller, and sent the machine home, I figured all was good, and I would finish in no time.

Wrong!

I got three error messages back to back, followed by a message that said that it found a backup copy of the program I was working on, and would I want to upload that instead? I did, and proceeded to make the last few changes to the program, but realized that one of the features that I had deleted yesterday was back in the program. None of the dimensions that it had been attached to, just the feature. I deleted it and made the changes, and went to save the file. It got to 90% and DMIS shut down and crashed.

I opened it back up, and repeated my changes, and DMIS crashed when I hit save. This happened about 8-10 times today. I checked my pathways. I tried to save a copy to the desktop after the fourth time it crashed. Nothing has worked. I have not tried to do a different program to see if it would crash on a different program or not, but that is my next step. This is the first time this has happened. And the only thing I did different was that I swapped from the new GD&T measure to Legacy dimensions near the end of the program.

So, do any of you guys on here have a clue what happened, or what I'm doing wrong? Did changing to Legacy dimensions jack up the program? Or is there something WAY more significant going on?

DMIS CRASH ERROR MESSAGES.JPG

Comment

This happens to me fairly often. It doesn't like when you move or delete a specific feature, and it will crash in this exact manner every time you try. Have you tried shelling your program? That usually fixes it for me.

Comment

• ctw00
        ctw00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Scott, make or copy a new blank program and open it. Open the program you are having problems with and selected everything in the problem program from just after the Startup alignment to the end, copy that and paste it into the new program.

• Mike Ruff
        Mike Ruff commented
        Editing a comment
        what ctw00 said. This is a handy fix for most corrupted programs. HTH

• Scott D. Haselden
        Scott D. Haselden commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I have no idea how it got corrupted that way. I wound up doing a complete rewrite yesterday evening, and it saved fine. I keep all of my setup pictures in a file folder on the desktop, so I was able to replicate the setup instructions in about a half hour. I have manually put in the info for all of the dimensions and locations off of nominal datums so many times in the last few days that I remembered all of the settings. Only 2.5 hours start to finish.

Thanks for the info. I will try shelling the program next time. Hopefully, it will make things much easier, if this happens again.

Originally posted by Mike Ruff View Post
      This happens to me fairly often.
      If your "about" info is correct and you are using 2015.1 then I'd understand that you are seeing it. I haven't seen this cannibalistic behavior in a loooong time, but I have moved away from the 2015/2016 versions.
      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP10

Comment

• ctw00
        ctw00 commented
        Editing a comment
        It happens to me every once in a while in 2018 R2, mainly if I copy and paste a feature, but not nearly as much as 2016 or earlier.

• Mike Ruff
        Mike Ruff commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I'm still on 2015.1, it's pretty solid for the most part except for this happening. I make a lot of programs from other programs, though, which seems to cause this error to pop up a lot more often.

That's why we call it "The DEMON".....
      Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
      Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Try what Wes Cisco outlines below. I believe this may be applicable here...
        CMM cure.JPG
        Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was taken from me on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

@Scott D. Haselden On a more serious note, and oddly enough, I am having a very similar issue this morning as well. I have some features that I am moving around in the program and keep getting crashes when I try to delete certain ones. The ones that DMIS crashes on were once called out as datums (cylinders) but no longer are and are not used anywhere else in the program for any purpose. I am at the point where I can delete them but as soon as I try to save the program... CRASH!!!! I am sending crash reports every time with my email and a description (probably 15 now and counting). I ended up renaming the feature "USELESS_1" so I know what it is when I see it. I ran into this before and it allowed me to delete it after renaming it but not this time. I also tried opening the program in 2020 R1 (I am on the latest SP of 2020 R2 currently), deleting, and saving with the exact same result.

I have a message out to neil.challinor to look into the crash reports if he can. He and I are currently working on a way I can send Hexagon some of our programs to look into. I am getting resistance from my job due to proprietary and ITAR but hopefully I can break that resistance...

Edit to add: Yes I tried what Wes Cisco described but it didn't work. Company is not too happy about the blood on the CMM, the floor, and on the walls. I'm currently sourcing and EMP gun, sourcing a forklift to move the CMM outside, getting blue techno lights, and downloading Die Antwooord.
        Last edited by A-machine-insp; 11-19-2020, 11:03 AM.
        Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was taken from me on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• A-machine-insp
          A-machine-insp commented
          Editing a comment
          Scott D. Haselden I don't think it was a cylinder issue. I ended up having this issue with two features, a cylinder and a plane. The only common thing between them is that they were at one time called out in a datum definition (not when I went to delete them). I changed the datdefs to other features and made sure the features to be deleted were not used anywhere else in the program for anything. I just renamed them "USELESS_1" and "USELESS_2". I will try deleting them in summary mode as louisd said below and see how that works.

• Scott D. Haselden
          Scott D. Haselden commented
          Editing a comment
          So, if a feature is created and designated as a datum, then the application may crash, when that feature is no longer considered a datum, and is deleted. I wonder if this is some sort of previously unknown bug...

• A-machine-insp
          A-machine-insp commented
          Editing a comment
          Scott D. Haselden I'm not sure. We had some power and network issues yesterday so I did not get the part completed. I am planning on pulling another program up to see if it does it there as well. The program I had an issue with was written with DMIS 2017 but I saved it as a 2020 R2 before I started editing. I have had this happen before and it was similar circumstances being written with an earlier version. I will report back with my findings when I get a chance to test some more.

Attempted to access an unnamed file past its end.
        That was perfected in the series of 2010 releases. In the hierarchy of those messages, it is where it should be @ Message #1.
        It has earned it!

Comment

another trick to eliminate code which doesn't want to delete, is to switch from edit window to summary mode, then delete the feature in summary mode. From how it sounds however, shelling the whole routine would likely be a better outcome. Avoid copying the code you are not able to delete. if that doesn't work, omit more code adjacent to the feature you need gone.

Comment