Calibration sphere moved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibration sphere moved?

I am having problems w/ my calibrations. I can calibrate 1 probe and when I load any other probe and load that probe as active and tell it the sphere has NOT moved, it will not go to the correct place to calibrate. All probes the I have do the same thing. It stops at approx. the top of the sphere. I have checked my search paths and not sure what is up. All my files run out of the PCDMISW/ directory but the tip files are in another folder named PCDMIS37_probes.

I am running 3.7mr1
    alpha one

Thanks

Sounds to me you need to remake your tool.dat file. Delete it in your pcdmis directory and make a new one. Then qualify that one with a probe manually and dcc the rest.
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jerrykittle View Post
      I am having problems w/ my calibrations. I can calibrate 1 probe and when I load any other probe and load that probe as active and tell it the sphere has NOT moved, it will not go to the correct place to calibrate. All probes the I have do the same thing. It stops at approx. the top of the sphere. I have checked my search paths and not sure what is up. All my files run out of the PCDMISW/ directory but the tip files are in another folder named PCDMIS37_probes.

I am running 3.7mr1
      alpha one

Thanks
      Check the length of the probe build up to make sure they are not to short. Just a thought
      sigpicRegards,
      Donald Henger
      B&S Micro Excel Pfx
      3.5mr2 & 3.7mr3
      PHH10MQ, TP20 & TP2
      Country Rocks,But Bluegrass RULES!!!

Comment

I would suspect the first probe you used to calibrate. IF it is not built correctly OR defined not-quite-right, Pcdmis will STILL use it as a 'master, perfect' built tip for the finding of the tool. So, if it is wrong, then none of the others will find the ball.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          I would suspect the first probe you used to calibrate. IF it is not built correctly OR defined not-quite-right, Pcdmis will STILL use it as a 'master, perfect' built tip for the finding of the tool. So, if it is wrong, then none of the others will find the ball.
          Good point Matt. (to early) Thats why your the dimi-guru
          sigpicRegards,
          Donald Henger
          B&S Micro Excel Pfx
          3.5mr2 & 3.7mr3
          PHH10MQ, TP20 & TP2
          Country Rocks,But Bluegrass RULES!!!

Comment

Make sure both probes are built as defined (as stated above). Calibrate one probe, answer 'yes' the sphere has moved. Calibrate the other probe, answer 'yes' the sphere has moved. Go back to the first probe, calibrate it, answer 'no' the sphere has not moved.

Always calibrate A0B0 for any probe build - even if you don't plan to use it - and you will save yourself a lot of cal. headaches.

Comment

Check the length of the probe build up to make sure they are not to short. Just a thought
              The build up are not compilcated, 2x20_40ext, 1x20_40ext, etc.. Ok, here the deal. I don't think this is the problem. 1st I checked all the probe definition for Jerry. They all look good. I started out needing to redo the probe changing rack. So I build a 2x20 probe. Very simple. Did this align the rack, Calibrated that probe so now this "should" be the master probe. NONE of the other probe would go to the correct depth of the sphere. They are either right at the top or bottom of the sphere instead of at the equator of the sphere. Now, I didn't redo the tool.dat file. I thought it had something to do w/ the probe.dat file. So had would I go about redoing the tool.dat file. Hadn't messed w/ that yet. We also will see how B&S will handle this also because they do have a SMA and he called and left a message last night. Can someone elaborate on the tool.dat file info?

Another question I had is about this part "All my files run out of the PCDMISW/ directory but the tip files are in another folder named PCDMIS37_probes." Is this correct? I run 3.5mr2 and my files are not setup this way. I do plan on upgrading to 3.7mr3 unless 4.2 is better. But I want to make sure everything is running before I tackle that.

Thanks
              Last edited by WScmm; 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM.
              Dale
              v2011 MR1 CAD ++

Comment

Riddle me this. Are you only having this problem on newly created probe builds? Say you create a 3X30 and have problems with it on the first try so you tell it the sphere has moved and it runs fine. After that it follows the master tip?

With 3.7 on one of my machines (why it is only one of them I do not know) every time I create a new probe file it goes after the sphere either high or low. I have to tell it the artifact has moved and calibrate it. Then calibrate the master, then the new tip seems to follow the master from that point on.

I only have the problem with a new tip. Is it all probes all the time or just all of the newly created ones? I have yet to figure out why that happens to me, and what makes it more bizare is it is only one machine that does it. I have another machine, identical model, same control, same age, same type of PC, same software and version but not the same problem. I think it is a bug.
                <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

With 3.7 on one of my machines (why it is only one of them I do not know) every time I create a new probe file it goes after the sphere either high or low. I have to tell it the artifact has moved and calibrate it. Then calibrate the master, then the new tip seems to follow the master from that point on.
                  Yes, that is what happened. They have 6 probe in a rack, all probe were created before I went in and they did run at one time. I did create a 2x20 last night and exactly what you said is going on. But, when I calibrated the 2x20 I said sphere has moved YES (because I just mounted it). So when I picked up the 1st probe out of the rack it went to low on the sphere. Then I picked the 2nd probe out the rack and it stop at the top of the sphere. What is up w/ that? (this is what I felt last night)
                  Dale
                  v2011 MR1 CAD ++

Comment

Make sure both probes are built as defined (as stated above). Calibrate one probe, answer 'yes' the sphere has moved. Calibrate the other probe, answer 'yes' the sphere has moved. Go back to the first probe, calibrate it, answer 'no' the sphere has not moved.
                    I did this for a couple of the probe and the 2nd probe would never go to the proper place to calibrate. To high or to low.

What I didn't say earlier is someone was there until about Feb. and I was told the they started having problems just after that. So at this point I was sure what it could be, that is why I ask about the probe files being in a location by themselves. I almost seems like they are not updating in the proper places. They are updating I checked that, I change the set paths back and forth but to no avail.
                    Dale
                    v2011 MR1 CAD ++

Comment

I don't understand it myself. The only thing I can do is tell it the artifact has moved and go through the routine. Then go back and do the master and all of the rest. I only have to do that on new probe file build, after I go throught that things work fine. It drives me nuts. What you can also do is open your prehit and retract a mile for the first qualification and say that the artifact hs not moved. You might get lucky and it'll still hit the artifact but just way off. Then after it goes through the routine, tighten your prehit and retract back up and redo the qualification, again saying it has not moved, then it goes right on location.

Comment

You might try calibrating each probe in the rack manual/DCC at A0B0 only. Only tell the sphere has moved for the 1st probe and no for all the others. Then try calibrating DCC whatever else you need. This way you will be "finding" the sphere for each tip at A0B0 before the DCC calibration. HTH
                        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Dale, are you going over there again tonight. Call me if you run into problems, I should be available.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
                            You might try calibrating each probe in the rack manual/DCC at A0B0 only. Only tell the sphere has moved for the 1st probe and no for all the others. Then try calibrating DCC whatever else you need. This way you will be "finding" the sphere for each tip at A0B0 before the DCC calibration. HTH
                            If he is going through what I am then all newly built probe files do not find the sphere at the proper Z depth even A0B0 which is the way I always do it. It is a bizare problem. Say you have 3 tips in your system and all of them find the sphere just fine all day long. Then you create a new one and go to qualify. It either starts too high or too low on the sphere but seems to be good in X and Y. You have to tell it the artifact moved on that sphere, qualify it then go and do all the rest. I don't get why new tips behave this way. The fact that only one of my machines does this leads me to believe that some type of corruption takes place that is not necessarily a probe file. BTW this is the same machine that I can not run scripts on. To this very day I have not figured that one out either.

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                              If he is going through what I am then all newly built probe files do not find the sphere at the proper Z depth even A0B0 which is the way I always do it. It is a bizare problem. Say you have 3 tips in your system and all of them find the sphere just fine all day long. Then you create a new one and go to qualify. It either starts too high or too low on the sphere but seems to be good in X and Y. You have to tell it the artifact moved on that sphere, qualify it then go and do all the rest. I don't get why new tips behave this way. The fact that only one of my machines does this leads me to believe that some type of corruption takes place that is not necessarily a probe file. BTW this is the same machine that I can not run scripts on. To this very day I have not figured that one out either.
                              If you choose the manual/DCC option for calibration, does it still miss the sphere even after you have taken the 3 manual hits?

Comment