Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature compensation

Good morning,

I've just received the low down that the "imperial command" in our company now wishes that our cmms be tested and conform to test parameters established iaw asme b89.4.1.
    In other words they're bored and wish to do time studies on the various machines' accuracies and repeatabilities. Where I'm going with this is that we basically like everyone else out there try and keep our labs at 68 degrees with stable humidity. I've never personally employed the temperature compensation commands or setups within the software. (3.7 mr3, we're still letting all of you test out 4.2. Thanx for the heads up on 4.0 and 4.1) Anyhow, I'm a "newbee" when it comes to setting up the machines on all of the ins and outs to the proper use of the temperature compensation menus. I did a quick search thru past posts and threads and saw only a few quick queries on temperature issues but nothing on actually setting up and the understanding of what the comp's will do to enhance performance. If there are any outlines or self teach posts by Wilcox or whoever that anyone's aware of I'd appreciate the direction. We use a couple of Mistrals and an older Sheffield. I hope management's not just opening a giant can of worms on this one.
    thanx....
    Physics dictates to man why his world acts the way it does....Chemistry tells him why it smells the way it does.

I use the temp comp feature on my Global CMM when I have close tolerances to check. I just add it to the beginning of the program and it will do the rest. It compensates all three axis, and for the part. Note that not all controllers will handle the temp comp.
    I ran a test to see how well the temp comp worked, and I was impressed with it . I took a part and ran it thru a heated parts washer (casting) and the part was probably 120 deg with close tolerances (t.p. .002) and ran the part thru the CMM. Then I left the part in the lab to cool off and ran it again to see how it would repeat. There was less than .00007in differnce between very hot and cold. I also ren this part 3 more times throught the day and still good. Then I took the temp comp out of the program, and ran the same test in the same way and when the part was hot it showed out of print dia's were big ect. As the part cooled more to room temp things started to look better. By the time the part had set for 4 hrs it finally matched what I was getting with the temp comp on. (My .02 worth)
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Being that I have never used temp control, how and when do you use it and if you got it where the **** is it
      sigpic

Comment